Pretty in Pink
Warm weather calls for a fresh face. Pink makeup mimics a healthy, natural-looking flush—especially when paired with a hint of shimmer. This sweet yet sophisticated glow is easier to achieve than you might think—just turn the page.
“Pink accentuates tan skin so it’s the perfect shade for summer,” says makeup artist Angelia Senevisai, who gave model Ashley Van Ort her rosy glow. Although Senevisai’s clients include a glamorous list of politicians, pro athletes, and actresses like Nip/Tuck’s Kelly Carlson, her approach to makeup is low-maintenance. Here, she shares how to achieve a luminous pink look with minimal effort.
Product Photos by Todd Buchanan
1. Before moisturizing, prep skin with a hydrating mist. “Well-moisturized skin is the best palette,” says Sene- visai. Try: Claudalie Beauty Elixir, $15 @ Sephora.
2. Use your fingers to apply a light-weight foundation. “Blend well for a natural finish.” Try: Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15, $45 @ Macy’s.
3. Apply liquid bronzer where the sun would naturally hit—cheekbones, chin, the bridge of the nose. Use a powder bronzer if your skin tends to be oily. Try: Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Luminous Liquid Bronzer, $28 @ Nordstrom.
4. “Cool pink is the key to a youthful look.” Dab a bright cream blush on the apples of cheeks. Try: MAC Cream Colour Base in Full Fuchsia, $17 @ Macy’s.
5. Top with a paler pink powder blush to highlight cheekbones. Try: Nars blush in Angelika, $25 @ Macy’s.
6. Dust face with translucent powder to set makeup and absorb shine. Try: Make Up For Ever High Definition Microfinish Powder, $30 @ Sephora.
7. Sweep a shimmery, pale pink shadow across lids. “Use a light hand—we’re not going for glam.” Try: Bobbi Brown Sparkle Eye Shadow in Ballet, $24 @ Macy’s.
8. Use an eyeliner brush to apply deep-brown kohl pencil along the upper lash line. “The soft kohl melts into skin without creating a harsh line.” Try: MAC Eye Kohl in Costa Riche, $15 @ Macy’s.
9. Curl upper lashes and coat with black mascara. Senevisai likes Rimmel mascaras because they’re inexpensive and easy to use. Try: Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara, $8 @ Target.
10. Apply a lipstick similar to your natural lip color. Pinkish-brown shades flatter most complexions. Try: Bobbi Brown Creamy Lip Color in Blush Pink, $20 @ Macy’s.
11. Top lipstick with a sheer, pink gloss. “Glossy lips look youthful and brighten the whites of eyes.” Try: Rock & Republic Luxe Lip Gloss in Preppy Punk, $26 @ Nordstrom.