Edit ModuleShow Tags

DeRushaEats: Daily Diner Frogtown


Have you had a meal that had a healing power to it? Maybe it was the experience of trying a food that rocked your world. Maybe it was a discussion that changed the direction of your life.

The Daily Diner Frogtown just opened, and their slogan is “Changing lives with a side of fries.” I actually like another part of their mission: “The road to recovery starts in the kitchen.”

Union Gospel Mission opened the diner, and they take on some of the toughest clients you could imagine. The hungry, homeless, addicted, down-on-their-luck people who often have nowhere else to turn.

The Mission has a food service training program, and they’ve always wanted a real-world restaurant to put their students to work in. Now they do. About 25% of the staff will be from the training program; the other 75% are culinary professionals hired to work there.

But enough about that. Because even without the back story, Daily Diner is a worthy addition to the Frogtown neighborhood.

It looks great—with tons of windows looking out onto Dale and University. On my visit, the food was about all you could hope for from a real diner.

Don’t miss the Frogtown Fries (and don’t eat them all yourself): $6 gets you a huge portion of wedge-style fries with a nice crispy batter and a tasty smoked onion sour cream on the side.

I didn’t care for the Light Rail chili, but I loved the soup du jour—a Cheeseburger soup with chunks of flavorful beef, and a delicious broth ($3).

fries    soup

The sandwich menu is perfect diner fare: chicken, egg, and tuna salad are all represented. I like that Daily Diner also offers half sandwiches. The Cajun chicken sandwich (shown above; $11 full/$7.50 half) was quite good: a chicken breast with Cajun spices, topped with pepper jack, peppers, onions, and served with a remoulade sauce. I also really liked the cranberry wild rice bread in the turkey clubhouse sandwich ($11/$7.50).

The lunch crowd was lively on a weekday, so I think the neighborhood needed a nice diner. And our whole community needs the students of Union Gospel Mission’s training program to succeed. So order up!

Daily Diner Frogtown
Monday-Saturday 7 a.m.-9 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
615 University Avenue, St. Paul
651-789-7661, dailydinerfrogtown.com

Edit ModuleShow Tags

About This Blog

Minnesota Monthly's Taste Blog answers your restaurant and dining questions, dishes on latest discoveries, reflects on breaking news, and generally brings the plate to the page with a skilled crew of experts: Learn more about the Taste bloggers.

Have a food-related question? Email rhutton@mnmo.com

Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags

More »Taste Blog

DeRusha's 8 Best Twin Cities Sports Bars

Why watch the game over food you don't love? Food critic Jason DeRusha lists eight of the top sports bars in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Oatmeal Irish Soda Bread Recipe

Fresh, homemade bread is faster and easier than you think with dough that mixes in five minutes and needs no time to rise

Hello Pizza Turns 5, Ann Kim Short-listed for James Beard Award

Hello Pizza might have middle-child syndrome next to Ann Kim's other pizza shops—but this is what makes it worth revisiting

2018 James Beard Award Finalists

Minnesota chefs stay prominent in the James Beard shortlist

Brews for Good

Guinness is donating $1 to charity for each adult that dons a ‘stache and shares on social media now through March 31, 2018

3 Reasons to Brunch This Weekend

Elegant N/A drinks, outstanding oeufs, and the best of ’80s hair rock this weekend

Blueberry-Walnut Squares Recipe

Enjoy a double-dose of antioxidants with walnuts and blueberries in this treat

Oscar Party Appetizers

Elevate your table with a trio of jazzed up party bites for a win in the best supporting snacks category

Exploring Washington Wines

Sample and discover delicious wines from our country’s second-largest wine-producing area at the Food & Wine Experience March 3 and 4
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags