7 Simple Steps to Avoid Acne Breakouts
Photo by Dmitriy Melnikov—Fotolia.com
Lately, I’ve been receiving questions of how to prevent breakouts from all ages. My oldest daughter and her friends are all getting to the age where they just beginning to see pimples on their young faces. Our friend’s college-aged nanny is taking a couple intense summer classes and had a stress induced breakout. And friends in their early 40’s are experiencing mood swings and zits.
There are a few things we can do to help ourselves and swing the odds in our favor. Maybe hormones and stress will have to be a part of our lives on some level, but here is what to do with the things that are in our control:
1. Remember the phrase “You are what you eat.” Avoiding preservatives, chemicals, and dyes, and eating plenty of organic fruit and veggies will give your skin resilience and the proper tools to fight off the bacteria that cause acne.
2. Drink plenty of good clean water.
3. Change your pillow case weekly, and always use a clean towel and washcloth when washing your face.
4. Hair products containing oils, silicones, and plasticizers will clog your pores if they get on your skin.
5. When using perfume or cologne, always make sure to avoid getting any on your face.
6. Make sure your skin care products do not contain the “dirty dozen” ingredients—not only for your quest for smooth skin, but also for your health.
7. Properly wash your face once in the morning and once at night:
Steps to properly wash your face
1. Wash your face with warm water and a mild cleanser. Rinse and pat dry with a clean towel.
2. Apply a toner or witch hazel to balance the pH of your skin and let dry.
3. Apply any topical medications such as acne treatments.
4. Gently pat on your eye cream to help maintain collagen.
5. Gently apply your moisturizer to seal in all the goodness you just did. If your skin is not properly moisturized, it will actually over compensate by overproducing more oils, which will clog your pores.
6. If it is your morning wash-up time, go ahead and apply a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to protect your skin from a serious beat down from the sun.
With a young preteen in our house, I know these points are getting lots of conversation time. It is my hope that sharing these tips will help you to keep a good skin care routine and you will rock your gorgeous skin at all your summer get-togethers.