How To Create the Look Behind Our Fall Fashion Feature
photo by shelly mosman
It’s hard to believe that fall is right around the corner. September 23, to be exact, is the Autumnal Equinox and after that the days will start getting shorter, leaves will change colors and the humidity will evaporate from the air. Shorter days and drier temperatures shouldn’t be reflected on our skin or hair. Fall is the perfect time to transition to creamier, richer products that will keep you looking radiant and healthy.
Because natural light outdoors is diminishing, my inspiration for our Fall Fashion feature was to give Raina Hein, our model, rosy skin with a light reflecting quality so she looked lit from within. The look is defined by luminous skin, flushed cheeks and doe-eyed beauty, framed by glossy waves.
Romantically minimal. Describing it is harder than creating it.
- Begin with the skin. Longer nights and more sleep sometimes translate into waking up with puffy eyes. My go-to product to reduce puffiness: Klorane smoothing and relaxing eye patches. I apply first thing in the morning while my model is having her first cup of coffee. A short 15 minutes works wonders.
- Be kind this time of year. Seasonal transitions can leave skin feeling a little sensitive. To counter, I use Babor skin care for sensitive skin. Models are especially appreciative because their skin takes more abuse than most between frequent air travel and constant makeup applications. Perfecting the skin means knowing that less is often more. Sometimes concealer is all you need. For Hein, I kept it simple with MAC Pro Longwear concealer to lightly brighten under the eyes.
- Highlight for natural glow. Rather than contouring, I prefer highlighting with Smashbox LA Lights in Pearl. This chubby, easy-to-blend crayon accents cheekbones and gives the skin a natural illumination. It’s easy to create a realistic, just-in-from-the-cold blush while keeping the skin moist. For this shoot, I used Sonia Kashuk’s Dewy Luxe Lip & Cheek Balm in Enchanted. The great thing about this product is you can use it as a tinted balm on the lips as well.
- Groom those brows. Full groomed brows are a complement to any make up application. Add a great mascara that builds volume and adds rich color like Diorshow and eye shadows can be kept to a minimum. Simply sweep the lid with a hint of Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream shadow in Pink Beige to give the eyes a soft hint of color
- Luscious lips. To finish the face I used a NARS matte lip pencil as a stain over lightly moisturized lips, which I blotted for longer wear. To create a lip stain with any lipstick, first ensure the lips are moisturized and remove any excess. Apply color to the center of the mouth and use a lip brush or you finger to spread the color and create a soft stain without hard edges.
- Finish with romantic waves. The perfect frame for Hein’s makeup is a soft halo of undulating waves. I prepared her hair with AHNESTI Hair & Scalp Refresher and a little blow drying at the roots to add volume. I used Redken Hot Sets 22 Thermal Setting Mist and a curling iron to created the movement in her hair. Once her hair cooled, I lightly brushed through the hair.
The look is innocently sensual and easy to create.
1. MAC Pro Longwear Concealer
2. Smashbox LA Lights in Pearl
3. Sonia Kashuk's Dewy Luxe Lip & Cheek Balm in Enchanted
4. Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream Shadow in Pink Beige
5. Diorshow Mascara
6. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl