Holiday Gift Guide 2011
Move over, Santa! Our unique local gift ideas are sure to surprise and delight everyone on your list, and our suggested winter activities will inspire you to make the most out of the holiday season.
1. Wixon Jewelers • Zircon’s vivid Carribean blues, brilliance, and beauty can rival any gem and this pairing is sure to do just that! Part of Wixon Jewelers Luxury Collection, this suite features a stunning cushion-cut blue zircon and diamond pendant suspended from a diamond necklace. The earrings are sure to complete the look with their dazzling blue zircons and halos of round diamonds. Worn together or separately, they are sure to make a bold statement. • Pendant 18.93 ct. cushion-cut zircon with 0.79 tdw round diamonds, $19,995. Necklace 8.45 tdw round diamonds - $21,950. Earrings 5.84 tw round zirconswith 0.35 tdw round diamonds, $6,250.• 9955 Lyndale Ave. S., Bloomington • www.wixonjewelers.com • 952-881-8862
2. Bombshell • This gorgeous peacock jacket is from Bombshell’s exclusive Italian line, Elena Miró. Quilted in small diamonds, the pretty collar will beautifully frame your face. $300. 794 Grand Ave., St. Paul • www.bomb-shell-boutique.com • 651-330-2605
3. EuroNest • Intricately detailed 4x6 frames, ranging from $45-115. • Unique mabel creamer set, including sugar “basket” with spoon, creamer, and tray - $190. • Festive holiday pillows (also pictured on cover), ranging from $45-425. 5700 West 36th St., St. Louis Park • www.euro-nest.com • 952-929-2927
4. General Store of Minnetonka • Let is snow! “There’s Snow Place Like Minnesota” is a Christopher Radko hand-blown glass ornament created exclusively for the General Store of Minnetonka. $48. • 14401 Highway 7, Minnetonka • www.generalstoreofminnetonka.com • 952-935-7131
5. France 44 Wine & Spirits • Drink with style this holiday season! Polkadot and Silver Flasks by True - 6 oz. stainless steel flasks with easy-to-fill funnels and convenient screw top lids. • Plaid Flask by True - made from stainless steel and wrapped in soft chocolate and plaid. Twist and lift lid. Holds 5 oz. $14.99 each. • 4351 France Ave. S, Mpls. • www.france44.com • 612-925-3252
6. Hoigaard's • Skea Chloe jacket - 100 percent prime goose down insulation, high back collar, faux-fir trim, inner-powder skirt to keep the snow out, and underarm zips to keep you comfortable while playing outdoors. $489. • Salomon BBR ski - unique design and shape allows this ski to excel in powder, as well as on groomed runs, featuring an oversized tip, rocker design, and narrow waist under foot for precision and stability. $859.99 • Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro snowboard - excellent all-around snowboard, great for tackling hardpack, the park, pipes, powder rails, and even ice. Handmade in Seattle. $539.95 • 5425 Excelsior Blvd., St. Louis Park • www.hoigaards.com • 952-929-1351
7. Details Style Lab • Hollyberry cape with black bow, just right for the fashionista on your list. $128. Darling polkadot cape, great for holiday festivities! $98. • Wow your friends in this adorable velvet tulip skirt made of sustainable fabrics. $168. • These candles really work! Details Style Lab’s No.1-selling candles come in scents of peanut butter cookie, hot apple pie, and the popular smokers candle. $28. • Aveda gift sets are the perfect gift, featuring everything from candles to hair care products. “Grounding” candle set - $29. “Vibrant” hair care set - $49. “Relief” head and foot care set - $48. • 346 St Peter St., downtown St. Paul • www.detailsmn.com • 651-251-8700.
8. Flirt Boutique • Make this Christmas more fun with a playful cami/panty set by Eberjey. Cami - $56 and panty - $30. • Indulge her with a silky Elle MacPherson chemise. $78. • Splurge on an elegant blue silk romper by Else. $140. • 177 N. Snelling Ave., St. Paul • www.flirt-boutique.com • 651-698-3692.
From adventure-seekers who want an excuse to play in the powder to those who simply want a cozy place to get away from it all, we feature the season’s best bets.
Looking for a cure to the winter blues? Arrowwood Resort, located just two hours from the Twin Cities in the city of Alexandria, is the perfect escape. Kids love the 38,000-square-foot indoor waterpark featuring four-story waterslides almost as much as they love fun outdoor activities like ice fishing, ice-skating, broomball, sledding, skiing, snowmobile rentals and horse-drawn sleigh rides. Adults love dining in the on-site restaurants, relaxing at Darling Reflections Spa—a full-service massage and treatment spa, and the fact that the kids don’t once complain that they’re bored. Choose from guest rooms or suites—some featuring fireplaces, double whirlpool spas, lofts and kitchenettes—or luxurious townhomes with up to four bedrooms.
Get away from it all in a romantic atmosphere at Canoe Bay, the only prestigious Relais and Chateaux member in the Midwest. Designed exclusively for couples, Canoe Bay—featuring 280 acres of secluded hardwood forest shelter in northwestern Wisconsin—is a romantic winter retreat. Explore the grounds on snowshoe, treat yourself to an in-room massage, relax in front of the fireplace, and then head to the lakeside dining room for a glass of wine (over 500 to choose from) and a four-course meal. Spending a weekend here feels like two weeks worth of relaxation. Book the three-night Winter Experience Package and receive a free dinner-for-two one evening, and a guaranteed one-level upgrade in accommodations (some restrictions apply). Call 715-924-4594 for reservations.
While some of us are hesitant to acknowledge winter’s inevitable arrival, Duluth is anxiously awaiting the first snowfall. One much-anticipated winter event is the Bentleyville Tour of Lights at Bayfront Festival Park, transformed into one of the largest lighting displays in the Midwest from Nov. 19 - Dec. 26. See a 12-story animated Christmas tree with more than 30,0000 sparkling LEED lights, as well as other festive displays. Santa will be on hand to visit with children every night at 5 p.m. from Nov. 19 through Dec. 23. Make an evening of it and take the Bentleyville Train from Fitger’s Brewery Complex. Admission is free, but donations are strongly encouraged. Venture up to Spirit Mountain where you’ll discover spectacular scenery, skiing and snowboarding. Spirit Mountain is also host to what is known as the biggest snowmobile event of its kind: the AMSOIL Duluth National Snocross. Snowmobilers can head out along the scenic 153-mile C.J. Ramstad Memorial North Shore Trail paralleling beautiful Lake Superior. If cross-country skiing is more your cup of tea, there are miles and miles of groomed, tracked and lighted trails within city limits leading you through a winter landscape of peaceful, pristine beauty. And last, but not least, is the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon Jan. 29, 2012, a historic 390-mile race, the longest sled dog race in the lower 48 states. Join in the fun and cheer on the mushers and their loyal companions.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Winters in the Midwest can be wonderful, but at a certain point you might want to escape the deep freeze for some reggae, rum, and sunshine. Enter Hermosa Cove in Ocho Rios, a stunning 12-acre seaside property on the north coast of Jamaica featuring a collection of Caribbean-styled two-story villa suites. Husband-and-wife team Clayton and Deb Korver, from the small Dutch farming community of Orange City, Iowa, designed and built Hermosa Cove over the past five years. The small size of Ocho Rios eliminates the tourist traffic you’ll often find in Negril or Montego Bay, and “Ochi” has wonderful attractions such as Dunn’s River Falls, Dolphin Cove, Mystic Mountain, and Coyaba Gardens just minutes from the front gates. Hermosa Cove sits on the edge of a marine park, perfect for snorkeling, scuba diving, sea kayaking, and fishing, but “sometimes it’s just more fun to sit by your private dip pool and relax in a gorgeous garden setting,” Clayton says. All-inclusive packages and personal shoppers/chefs can be arranged in advance. Mention this advertorial and receive a 25 percent discount. The offer is valid through March of 2012, excluding Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
Granite Peak Ski Area
Wausau, Wisconsin is closer to the Twin Cities area (about a three hour drive) and bigger than most people realize. “It’s an urban setting, yet it’s very quaint here at Granite Peak,” says Vicki Baumann, Granite Peak Ski Area operations manager. Granite Peak, located at Rib Mountain State Park, is exactly what a Midwestern ski resort should be. “At the base of our mountain, we have a beautiful city with wonderful family-friendly hotels—many that shuttle to the ski area—great restaurants, fun festivals, and music every weekend in the chalet.” Granite Peak has 74 runs and 8 lifts, including the fast-paced “comet.” The long runs are nicely groomed, the verticals are great, and for those just learning to ski or board, there’s a learn-to-ski area complete with a Sun Kid Wonder Carpet. The snowboard park was named one of the top three parks in the Midwest by TransWorld Snowboarding. According to one reviewer, “It’s big enough so that there is room for everything, with a great variety of runs for beginners, terrain park junkies, or free riders.” There are more than 15 jumps, 35-plus jibs (including identical length box-to-rail progression sets), and a friendly park staff who ride with the guests every day. Visit the website for special offers and packages.
Stillwater was recently voted one of the “Prettiest Small Towns in America” by Forbes magazine, and the winter months are a great time to see this pretty river city in all its snow-covered glory. “You can go cross country skiing, winter hiking, or snowshoeing at Brown’s Creek Nature Preserve,” says Steve Roll, president of the Stillwater/Oak Park Heights Convention & Visitors Bureau. “And during winter weekends, nightlife is alive in many of our pubs, wine bars, and restaurants.” December is “Hometown for the Holidays” month in Stillwater. A traditional “Twinkle Parade” kicks off the season on December 3 (complete with a tree lighting ceremony), and Victorian-costumed carolers and Santa sightings entertain shoppers on weekends. History comes alive at the charming B&Bs, hosting a Victorian Progressive Tea on December 4 with live music, tours and sweets. Bundle up in January for the outdoor Ice Cream Social in Lowell Park, and grab your girlfriends this February and hit Stillwater for the Ladies Night Out Shopping Extravaganza. Detailed information can be found on www.discoverstillwater.com.