Eat Your Way Through Summer
What to grill, where to drink, how to cook farmers' market finds, and more!
(page 3 of 7)
Summer's Best Salads
Lucia's: Farmers Salad
Union: Apples & Shaved Sunchokes Salad
Parka: Broccoli Salad
Burch Steak: Dungeness Crab & Sea Bean Salad
Gather: Watermelon Salad
5 Veggies, 5 Ways
The author of Eat More Vegetables offers more ways to enjoy your farmers’ market finds –Tricia Cornell
1. Shave raw beets and toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and mint and let sit overnight.
2. Juice beets and mix, two to one, with sugar and a squeeze of lemon.
Freeze, stirring every half hour to make a granita.
3. Boil or bake, peel. Blend with tahini, garlic, lemon, and olive oil for beet hummus.
4. Nestle into a baking dish completely covered by half-an-inch of kosher salt.
Bake about one hour. Crack the salt and peel.
5. Boil or bake, peel and grate. Stir into ice-cold kefir or thinned yogurt for a summer soup.
Garnish with dill and serve with boiled eggs.
1. Make “caviar.” Roast whole until collapsed. Scoop out inside and simmer with tomatoes, onions,
peppers, and garlic for an hour or so.
2. Fry thick slices and add to a grilled-cheese sandwich made with smoked mozzarella and harissa.
3. Slice the long way, rub with oil, and grill. Drizzle with tahini sauce and yogurt.
4. Cut into batons, toss with cornstarch, and make a stir-fry with as much freshly
crushed pepper as you can handle.
5. Slice thinly the long way, grill until softened, roll around herby goat cheese, and grill again.
1. Toss florets in flour and cayenne pepper. Deep fry in 375˚F oil until golden.
2. Slice whole head into thick steaks, rub liberally with oil, season, and grill.
3. Make “fried rice.” Pulse in food processor until coarse.
Sauté in sesame oil over high heat. Stir in fried egg and soy sauce.
4. Better crudités: blanch florets in boiling water for one minute.
Plunge into ice water. Serve with thick, herby homemade aïoli.
5. Cauliflower skordalia: boil until soft and blend with tons of garlic and olive oil.