5 Things: Lesser-Known Haunted Minnesota Spots
PHOTO COURTESY OF laszlolorik - fotolia
Minnesota has its share of famously spectral locales, and some—such as the Soap Factory and Wabasha Street Caves—have even capitalized on their spookiness with seasonal haunted houses and ghost tours. These supposedly haunted Minnesota spots aren’t quite as well known, but might be just as spooky.
- Lakeview Cemetery, Buhl. This cemetery near Hibbing was the final resting place for patients from the nearby Shaw hospital in the early 1900s. Ghostly tales include sightings of a man dressed in 1920s clothing walking among the gravestones, a single flag waving in still air, and the sound of footsteps in the graveyard’s gravel paths.
- Regal Cinemas, Brooklyn Center. A construction worker fell from the roof of this cinema complex during its construction in 2000, and his ghost is said to haunt theater 10. Patrons have reported hearing footsteps in the aisles when no one is visible, and sensing someone sitting down behind them, only to turn and find an empty seat.
- Washington Street Bridge, Mpls. The bridge connecting the east and west banks of the U of M campus has been the site of multiple suicides, including renowned poet John Berryman in 1972. Students have reported hearing disembodied footsteps and the sense of being followed by unseen company as they cross the bridge at night.
- Lake Julia Sanitarium, Puposky. Twenty miles north of Bemidji, the Lake Julia Sanitarium was a hospital for tuberculosis patients in the early 20th century. It’s been shuttered since the ’50s—but not unoccupied. The ghost of a young girl is sometimes seen in a second floor window, and balls of light have been spotted floating in the elevator shaft.
- Dairy Queen, St. Anthony. This DQ just north of the Quarry shopping center in Minneapolis is thought to be haunted by spirits from the large graveyard across the street, particularly those of its youngest residents, who can sometimes be heard laughing as they knock items off shelves in closed freezers or print out receipts for phantom orders.