(Quiz) Minnesota’s Most Outrageous Deals in 2014
Outrageous deals and dollar figures
Photo by Givaga/Fotolia
Bob Dylan wrote, “Money doesn’t talk, it swears.” See if you can keep your language clean while you try to match up the dollar figures with recent transactions.
- Amount Medtronic Inc. will pay to pick up a tax bill for CEO Omar Ishrak and other top executives, a penalty for moving the company’s address to Ireland for tax reasons.
- Estimated cost to demolish the empty downtown St. Paul Macy’s building—more than any developer is willing to pay to buy it (hint: the Saint Paul Port Authority paid $3 million for it earlier in the year).
- Cash paid by Nordstrom Inc. for a 10-acre site next to Ridgedale Center, where it is building a new store due to open next year.
- Settlement paid by the St. Paul City Council to Como Park café owners who alleged the city had broken a contract, leading council member Dan Bostrom to say, “In all my years here, I haven’t seen anything like this at all.”
- Contribution by Land O’Lakes to the University of Minnesota, the majority of which will go to naming rights for a new academic facility for athletes.
- $38 million
- $13 million
- $25 million
Answers: 1-B; 2-C; 3-E; 4-A; 5-D