Dear Expert: What things should I look for if I want a “green” cabinet?
A: No product is considered green, but products do have green attributes. So find out how many green attributes the cabinet possesses. For example, look for some of these:
- Uses a low VOC, and no formaldehyde top coat finish.
- Uses a no added urea formaldehyde product for the cabinet box.
- A local supplier. Local supplier means less fuel used for transportation.
- Uses wood products from sustainable forests, or re-engineered wood veneers, or some woods have been certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
- The cabinet supplier is certified by the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturer’s new Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP).
— Tim Aden
Sawhill Custom Kitchen & Design