SPECIAL ADVERTISING SECTION
We celebrate 150 years of statehood by sharing the legacy and history of some of Minnesota’s most impressive longstanding organizations.
In 1861, William Worrall Mayo, an itinerant country doctor, arrived in Rochester, Minnesota. Together with his sons, William J. and Charles H., he created a medical mecca in a little town on the edge of the prairie. Today, Mayo Clinic is a $7 billion health care provider annually serving more than 500,000 patients at its campuses in Arizona, Florida, and Minnesota. Each year, more than 140,000 patients travel to reach Mayo Clinic, coming from all 50 U.S. states and more than 150 foreign countries.
More than 2,500 physicians and scientists and 46,600 allied health staff work together to offer expertise in virtually all medical and surgical specialties. And because Mayo Clinic is driven by one primary value—the needs of the patient come first—its patients receive thorough physician consultations and medical tests in just a few days. This often means a diagnosis comes quickly, and surgery or treatments can be scheduled for the very next day.
Patients come to Mayo Clinic expecting the best that medicine has to offer, and more than 90 percent of these patients say good things about Mayo Clinic to their friends and family. Their stories, shared consistently for over a century, have established Mayo Clinic as the nation’s, if not the world’s, premier health care brand.
For more information about Mayo Clinic, please visit www.mayoclinic.org.
Minneapolis College of Art and Design
One of the most enduring creative and cultural institutions in the state, the Minneapolis College of Art and Design was founded in 1886, welcoming a class of 28 to its first campus: a rented house on Hennepin Avenue. Today, MCAD is globally recognized and respected as a leader and innovator in art and design education, with more than 800 students continuing a tradition of excellence embodied by alumni such as George Morrison, Rob Roy Kelly, Esther Bubley, and—in more recent years—Andrea Carlson, Paul Shambroom and Ernest Arthur Bryant III.
MCAD’s academic program is distinguished by its rigorous, multidisciplinary approach and outstanding faculty, attracting future creative leaders from across the country and around the world to its small urban campus in Minneapolis’ Whittier community.
For more than 120 years, MCAD has anchored Minnesota on the creative map. As our society globalizes, the demand for creative thinkers and visual communicators continues to rise, while MCAD’s reputation for fostering them continues to grow. In recognition of its vibrant legacy and in anticipation of an extraordinary future, MCAD continues to evolve and adapt in service of its mission to transform students into professional artists and designers, effective leaders and active citizens.
Please visit www.mcad.edu for more information on MCAD and its many programs, events and classes for learners of all ages.
Jackpot Junction Casino Hotel
Jackpot Junction Casino, in the southwestern Minnesotan city of Morton, knows a thing or two about being no. 1. Not only was it the first casino in the state, evolving in 1988 from a 500-seat Bingo Hall to a casino with the addition of blackjack and slot machines, but Jackpot’s golf course, Dacotah Ridge Golf Club, was recently named one of the best in the state by Golf Digest.
Today Jackpot Junction includes a massive 325,000-square-foot building with 1,320 video slot machines, table games such as blackjack, Three Card Poker, Pai Gow Poker, and Minnesota Hold ‘Em, a high-stakes lounge, live poker, specialty games, bingo, pull tabs, available child care, four full-service bars, four restaurants, three entertainment facilities, a three diamond AAA rated hotel, a large RV park, a convention center, and an 18-hole championship golf course. And that’s not all. They are currently undergoing a $25 million expansion that will include 200 new games, a redesigned buffet, 103 additional hotel rooms, an expanded swimming area (complete with a kiddie pool), and a new event center.
After spending time inside at Jackpot Junction, head over to the highly-regarded Dacotah Ridge Golf Club, an 18 hole championship masterpiece built on 240 acres of rolling countryside. Take advantage of golf and gaming packages including Play and Stay, Golf and Poker Getaway, and the Perfect Golf Getaway.
For more information, visit www.jackpotjunction.com.
The oldest and largest independent funeral establishment in the state, Washburn-McReavy Funeral Chapels has served Minnesota families since 1857—one year before the state’s founding.
Established by William P. Washburn, with partner William Glessner as a Minneapolis furniture and undertaking company (a common combination at the time), Washburn sold the furniture portion and renamed it Washburn Undertaking Company in 1917. He invited nephew Donald R. McReavy to join the business, and their extended families continue to serve the community to this day.
Over the years, Washburn-McReavy has expanded to include 16 funeral chapels and four cemeteries in the Minneapolis metropolitan area, including the Washburn-McReavy Edina Chapel, one of Minnesota’s premier funeral chapels.
The fourth-generation family business prides itself on serving families during difficult times, including coordinating the details pertaining to funeral, cremation, and cemetery arrangements. Washburn-McReavy also offers advance planning to families to ensure all wishes are met in a dignified manner.
In its 151st year, this family business continues to build upon a reputation of quality and value. They live by the philosophy: “Our Family Serving Your Family.”
For more information, call 612-377-2203 or visit www.washburn-mcreavy.com.
The Minneapolis Foundation
The year 1915 signaled the outbreak of World War I, the women’s suffrage movement, immigration and industrialization reform, and the creation of The Minneapolis Foundation.
Despite profound social needs at the turn of the century, no local institution existed to manage, invest, and distribute charitable gifts through philanthropy without the backing of a church, wealthy individual, or ballot box. Early Twin Cities’ visionaries felt it was important to create a community foundation open to all people, despite their denomination, income level, or political leanings, and that’s how The Minneapolis Foundation—one of the first community foundations in the country—was born.
Minnesotans, well known for their generosity and philanthropic commitment, whole-heartedly embraced the concept. It was a simple, convenient way for Minnesotans to address important community issues long into the future. The Visiting Nurses Association, The Salvation Army, settlement houses for immigrant families, and Little Sisters of the Poor were among the earliest recipients of grants from The Minneapolis Foundation, who promoted equal opportunity from the very beginning.
Today The Minneapolis Foundation strives to build permanent charitable capital, make philanthropic grants, and provide services that meet ongoing and emerging community needs. Donors can create charitable funds to support specific issues and organizations they care about, or for the general benefit of the community. Through charitable giving, donors improve the quality of life for all Minnesotans while leaving a lasting legacy for years to come.
For more information, visit www.minneapolisfoundation.org.
The Hubbell House Restaurant
A nationally-registered historic site, The Hubbell House Restaurant — located in Mantorville (near Rochester) — was established in 1854, when J.B. Hubbell opened a 16-by-24 foot log hotel.
The restaurant reflects the post-Civil War era, with fixtures and furniture “reminiscent of the late 1800s,” says co-owner/operator Don Pappas.
Originally a stagecoach stop and hotel, and later a boarding house, Senator Alexander Ramsey, the original Dr. W.W. Mayo, General Ulysses S. Grant, Horace Greeley, and Dwight D. Eisenhower were all customers. During the Great Depression, Don’s maternal grandfather purchased the site. In 1946, after his parents married, Paul and Irene started the current version of The Hubbell House. Nearly every decade since included an expansion, yet the menu did not deflect from what they do best—serving up large portions of steak, seafood, chicken, chops and ribs at a reasonable rate.
Times have changed, but gracious hospitality, a unique atmosphere, and excellent food remain consistent marks of excellence at The Hubbell House.
For more information, visit www.hubbellhouserestaurant.com.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota has played a vital role in the arena of higher education since its founding in Winona in 1912. What began as a local college for young men is today an international university serving women and men of every age, race and nationality. The university is true to its Catholic Lasallian heritage and Saint John Baptist de La Salle’s philosophy of bringing relevant, accessible education to the people, according to their needs. In 1950, Saint Mary’s offered its first graduate program in St. Paul. Saint Mary’s now serves 1,350 traditional undergraduates and 4,600 adult learners at campuses and centers in Winona, Minneapolis, Apple Valley, Minnetonka, Rochester and Nairobi, Kenya, and at 100 course-delivery sites in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
For more information, visit www.smumn.edu.
If the walls of the 106-year-old Landmark Center could talk, they’d have interesting stories to tell. The massive castle-like structure was once home to the Federal Courthouse, where notorious St. Paul gangsters were tried and convicted. Today the past is showcased through tours, five museums, and unique architecture, featuring stone arches, towers, spires, and multiple turrets and gables. The interior features an impressive five-story courtyard with intricately carved mahogany, 20-foot ceilings, and marble fireplaces—the ideal setting for music, dance, and theater productions, exhibits, public forums, special events, and office space for numerous arts and culture organizations.
Saved from the wrecking ball in the 1970s by a group of concerned citizens, the building the building—located at 75 West 5th Street in St. Paul’s Rice Park neighborhood—was restored before reopening as the Landmark Center in 1978. It is owned today by Ramsey County and managed by Minnesota Landmarks, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the building as a historic monument and offering programs and events that enhance our community.
For more information, visit www.landmarkcenter.org.
In 1895, C.J. Hoigaard opened a tent and awning company—C.J. Hoigaard Co.—in Minneapolis. The company quickly made a name for itself with eye-catching striped awnings and canvas tents, a product in high demand during the Alaskan Gold Rush. During World Wars I and II, the company manufactured parachutes and aircraft covers for the military, and in later years, expanded their inventory to include patio sets and skis. In 1960 C.J. Hoigaard Co. moved to St. Louis Park and became Hoigaard’s, Inc. A few years later, the canvas manufacturing operation moved to Eden Prairie. It still operates today as Hoigaard’s Custom Canvas.
Hoigaard’s, Inc.—now located in St. Louis Park’s Miracle Mile Shopping Center—offers a variety of bikes, skateboards, canoes, kayaks, in-line skates, camping gear, skis, snowboards, outdoor apparel, footwear, and casual furniture. The fourth generation family-run business takes great pride in the company, the community, and what they do—promising an unmatched value to Minnesotans who, over the years, have become friends as well as customers.
For more information, visit www.hoigaards.com.