A few months ago, I wrote a tutorial post about a fishtail-braid cocktail-party look. Well, this week’s post is inspired by LaWanica, my lovely art director—she’s put in a request for a Lobster Roll. Now, this is not the oh-so-delicious Smack Shack version… We’re talking about a hairstyle here.
If you’re looking for a fresh fall style to match those tall boots you’re about to bring out again, or a cutting-edge style for a party or night out with the girls, this will do the trick. I do recommend pushing it off to the side rather than styling it straight back, but as always, work it to what suits you best—and have fun!
The Lobster Roll
1. This is messy and textured look, so use a texturizing spray like Klorane on the roots to eliminate any natural oils that can flatten hair. This makes it easy to add slight volume without any teasing.
2. Now gather your hair to one side in a loose pony with an elastic band, leaving a few front pieces loose on the opposite side. I like to curl these pieces with a 1-inch barrel to add more shape around the face. If they’re really long, you can loosely pin them where you want them after the main style is complete.
3. Divide the hair off to the side in half to make a front and back section. Then make three small sections out of the back half, and twist each one individually before joining all three to make one twist. Secure the ends together with a clip, then repeat on the front section.
4. Now, take the front section, split into two small twisted sections, and then combine to make one twist.
5. Join the front and back twists to make one complete twist. Do not twist too hard; let it be a little loose to give it more thickness and texture, and secure with a clear elastic.
6. Take a small section of hair to wrap around the clear elastic to cover, and secure with a bobby pin. Then lift and secure the top part of the twist with bobby pins by your ear to cover the elastic you used in step 2.
7. Finish off with a light hairspray.
I hope you have fun and enjoy wearing the latest and greatest in cutting edge hair-styles. As always use this as a guideline, and make it yours!