Every year almost 1.8 million of us go to the Minnesota State Fair to ride the Cliff Hanger, see the world’s most corpulent pig, and wash down buttered corn on the cob with a bottomless glass of fresh milk. Test your fair knowledge on this deep-fried quiz-on-a-stick.
1) Which of the following acts has appeared the most times at the Grandstand since 1962?
A. REO Speedwagon
C. The Beach Boys
D. Ray Komischke’s Orchestra
2) Which U.S. president gave a renowned speech at the MN State Fair?
A. Teddy Roosevelt
B. Richard Nixon
C. Harry Truman
D. Dwight D. Eisenhower
3) Which of the following acts has not appeared at the Grandstand?
A. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
B. Sammy Davis, Jr.
C. Minnesota Orchestra
D. Village People
4) How much government funding does the fair receive annually?
B. Less than $1 million
C. Between $1 million–$5 million
D. Depends on last year’s revenues
5) What is the family connection between State Fair mascots Fairchild and Fairborne?
ANSWERS: 1–B; 2–A: “Speak softly and carry a big stick,” 1901 (as vice president); 3–D; 4–A; 5–C