I will be in Miami working this Mother’s Day, and the only gift I really truly wanted was to be with my husband and daughter. As it turns out…that is my gift! They are flying down to be with me; and although I’ll be working, I get to spend my evenings with my two favorite people. For me, extravagant gifts aren’t necessarily the most precious, but the time I spend with my family is.
I have been asking many of the moms I know what they really want for Mother’s Day and the answer is surprisingly simple; most want time. Time with the family. Time for themselves; whether it’s binge watching their favorite series, getting a pedicure, or just reading a book uninterrupted, (many moms admit they feel selfish asking for a little time to themselves).
Although flowers were still very popular, I found it interesting that many preferred living plants rather than flower arrangements. A couple of moms said they would like flowers especially if the family helped plant them in the garden. Still I found it compelling that most moms I spoke to said brunch at a restaurant was at the bottom of the list! (This contrary to what many restaurants want you to believe.)
With these ideas in mind, I thought of a few experiences that might be a great gift, (depending on your mom’s taste), and won’t break the bank.
Breakfast in bed
Even if mom’s not a big breakfast eater, she’ll appreciate the extra time to herself.
What you need:
- A breakfast tray (try a Crate & Barrel Melamine Large Serving Tray) with the morning paper, or gift card for a book.
- Coffee in a wonder woman mug. I am not saying she’s Wonder Woman, but have you ever seen mom and Wonder Woman in the same room?
- How about some fresh baked bread? Here are some ideas of what to make from my friend, food writer, and local pastry chef, Zoe Francois, author of The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking.
- Make sure you give mom some time to linger and enjoy.
Plant a Butterfly Garden
For the same price of a Mother’s Day flower arrangement you can give mom flowers she can enjoy for years to come. Mom enjoys the flowers and butterflies as well as other pollinators get some much need assistance. Contact Prairie Restoration for seeds, plants, and advice.
Spa at home
Mom doesn’t even need to leave home to have a truly great spa experience. Take your ordinary bathroom and make it extra ordinary follow these steps with a few additions.
- Clean the bathroom and remove clutter.
- Bring a speaker or CD player with relaxing music in the room. Make sure it’s not too close to the tub and keep all other electronics out of the bathroom.
- Light a candle—a beautiful aromatherapy candle can add ambiance and help transform the bathroom. Aveda’s light the way candle.
- Fill the bath and place Burt’s Bees Bath Crystals for mom to add when she’s ready to get in.
- Have a facial masque near the tub. Try a single application masque from Nugg.
- Glass of ice water and some fruit for mom to nibble on.
- Set a clean fluffy bath towel out and some strawberries for mom to snack on.
“The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.” – Unknown
Have a wonderful Mother’s Day!