I was dreading the end of summer, but the truth is, I am excited for a wardrobe change, both in clothing and makeup.
I am in Maine on a spring photo shoot (I am always working on the opposite season than I am actually in). The beautiful Maine coastline is the perfect backdrop for a spring shoot; not far away from the shore, the leaves have already begun to change to the deeply saturated colors of fall that I adore. Rich and sexy colors, including many variations of red (my favorite color) from crimson to russet to Bordeaux.
If you haven’t started thinking of your fall makeup wardrobe, consider adding a rich wine lip shade to your color palette. Oxblood is the new red for fall, and the perfect compliment to autumn’s deep color range.
To ensure these deep lip colors look fantastic, prepare your lips before application. Dark colors tend to emphasize dry, chapped lips so follow these steps for the best results:
- Remove any flakiness from lips by exfoliating them first. I love Philosophy Kiss Me exfoliating lip scrub.
- Moisturize lips: Try MAC Prep and Prime Lip. Lightly blot to remove excess moisture.
- Apply lip color directly from the tube then blend the edges with a lip brush.
- Blot and reapply. This will make the color look worn-in and diffused, and will give you longer wear.
A few of my favorite colors for fall:
- Nars Pure Matte Lip Stick in Volga (deep aubergine) or Valparaiso (deep raspberry)
- MAC Retro Matte Lipstick in Fixed on Drama
- Revlon Black Cherry