Photo by dream79/Fotolia
November is volunteer month, so find what you like to do and get out there!
Chef Challenge at the Mall
WHAT: Culinary Fest
WHEN: Sunday, November 11
WHERE: Mall of America, Bloomington
WHY: Come celebrate Veterans Day and the local community-building organization Beyond the Yellow Ribbon by viewing (and tasting some samples at) this chef challenge with military personnel and Mall of America chefs.
INSIDER INFO: Enter the sweepstakes by filling out an official Culinary Fest passport from the coupon book at the guest service desks at MOA. See contest rules at mallofamerica.com/culinaryfest.
Making College Possible
WHAT: Circle of Impact
WHEN: November 20, 6:30
WHERE: Machine Shop, 300 Second Ave. SE, Minneapolis
WHY: CircleRock is an Edina clothing store, and College Possible is a nonprofit that tries to make college accessible to low-income students. They team up for a concert and dance benefiting College Possible.
INSIDER INFO: Music acts include Charles Lazarus, Tommy Barbarella, and The Steeles. Learn more.
Food as Medicine
WHEN: Ongoing; see schedule
WHERE: Second Harvest Heartland, Brooklyn Park
WHY: Volunteer to pack nutritious food for people in need. It’s a way to help those with chronic diseases and low incomes eat healthy.
INSIDER INFO: Working with medical professionals, Second Harvest Heartland’s FoodRx presents a basic, preventive approach to health—giving people an ongoing prescription of nutrition. Learn more.
ICA Food Shelf Fundraisers
1. Bagging for Tips
2. Walk to End Hunger
3. ICA Day at Maynards
1. November 20, 9:30 a.m.; November 21, 6:30 p.m.
2. November 22, 7-10 a.m. (Thanksgiving morning)
3. November 26, 11 a.m.-Midnight
1. Cub Foods, 4801 Hwy. 101, Minnetonka
2. Mall of America, Bloomington
3. Maynards, 685 Excelsior Blvd., Excelsior
1. Bag groceries for tips to support the food shelf Turkey Give Away, which provides holiday meals for those in need.
2. Walk to End Hunger is a 5K “fun walk” presented by Mosaic Company on Thanksgiving morning. Hosted by Hunger Solutions MN to raise funds for our Minnesota food banks and shelves.
3. Enjoy a meal at Maynards with 100 percent of proceeds going to the ICA Food Shelf.
1. An opportunity for everyone 15 and older to be a grocery bagger. Sign up for three-hour shifts.
2. At Mall of America, you can register for the “fun walk” at 7 a.m. by Sea Life, or online (see below).
3. Aside from a great meal, Maynards will have holiday music from local musicians, a drawing, and time with Santa.
1. Sign up for a shift by emailing Shirley@icafoodshelf.org
3. Make reservations.
Check back every month for philanthropic food events picked by Sue Z.