Northeast Minneapolis is home to one of the most active arts scenes in the country. And each May, over 1,000 artists in more than 60 locations open their studios to invite visitors into the spaces where they create and share their art with Art-A-Whirl. Established as an artist district by the Northeast Minneapolis Arts Association (NEMAA) over 20 years ago, more than 50,000 eager arts lovers will shop and explore this weekend. And don’t forget the amazing food, drink, and music scene around you while you whirl away.
Artist, educator and NEMAA board member Meg Erke explains the importance of Art-A-Whirl: “Welcoming art lovers into your space means everything to us. There is an emotional connection when you interact with people who care about art and what you do. You cannot match the energy of the weekend around Art-A-Whirl and the people that make it happen.
This is the weekend to explore and discover new works and new artists. Be bold, meet the artists and hear their stories. Here are some more tips on making the most of Art-A-Whirl.
- It’s a big weekend, so make a plan and familiarize yourself with the neighborhoods. Do your research. You don’t have to do it all in one day.
- Ask questions and get to know the artists so you have a story to share about the art you take home.
- Keep a list of artists you like and follow them on Instagram. Engage with them throughout the year at other events.
- Be open to new artists and genres. Go into the crowded studios and the not-so-crowded. You might surprise yourself with new styles you might have disliked in the past.
- It’s great to revisit art before you purchase, but if you see it and love it, BUY IT.
For all the details on how to whirl in person or virtually, including live demos and hands-on creating, visit nemaa.org/art-a-whirl