Whether you are indoors or out, winter’s icy fingers are unavoidable. When we are inside, forced air, long hot showers, and blow drying our hair are all drying out our hair even before heading out into winter’s blustery winds and low humidity. After all of that, our tresses are left with a dull appearance, broken and split ends, and oh yes—static electricity!
Never fear! Here are five of my favorite easy ways to turn the tables on winter’s drying grip and keep a healthy hydrated shine in our locks—winter or not!
1. Drink Water. I know we are all looking for the magic potion. Well, here it is—water! Drinking water increases cell turnover, making your hair not only look softer, but feel healthier.
2. Remember hearing “you are what you eat”? It is true for so many things, and would you believe it is true for our hair too?! We all know eating a balanced diet is important, and including foods containing essential fatty acids and silica are important for hair health and hydration. Some of the best choices are salmon, beans, dark leafy greens, nuts, olives, and avocado.
3. Shampoo less. Shampooing your hair every day in the winter can be very drying. Try using a dry shampoo like ALTERNA Cleanse Extend Translucent Dry Shampoo in Sheer Blossom or Mango Coconut Scent in between washes to keep your style sassy and pretty. LOVE!!
4. Condition for your hair type. We all will benefit from eating and drinking right, but we do not all benefit from the same kinds of conditioning treatments.
All of you normal haired peeps can have a bit more flexibility in your treatments, but I find replacing your regular conditioner once a week with a good mask including ingredients like glycerin and shea butter are a solid bet for you. A lovely choice is Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque.
If your hair is curly you will benefit most from longer, weekly conditioning treatments to maintain a beautiful hydrated curl. Try Kinky Curly’s Midnight Miracle, also found at Edina Whole foods or Richfield Target. Comb through and leave in overnight. The next day, rinse it out, style, and head out the door with shiny happy curls.
Remember hot oil treatments? Well if you have coarse hair they are your secret weapon. No need to heat with a blow dryer any more either. Josie Maran Argan Hot Oil Self-Heating Hair Treatment will take care of all of that for you in 60 seconds flat when applied to hair after you have shampooed in the shower.
For Fine hair, you will need a light hydrating treatment that will not weigh down or grease up your hair. Try Joico K-PAK Liquid Reconstructor for Fine hair. Apply this protein spray before your styling products and enjoy all of the additional benefits like extended color and style workability.
5. Humidify. The best and most reliable static remover to date.
With these few simple steps in our bag of tricks, we can take on and embrace our Minnesota winters looking, and feeling our healthy, hydrated best.