- This event has passed.
Fall Colors Celebration at Lakewood Cemetery
October 10 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pmFree
Enjoy Stunning Fall Colors in the Heart of Minneapolis at Lakewood Cemetery
Sunday October 10, 2021
WHAT: Fall Colors Celebration at Lakewood Cemetery
Celebrate the beauty of autumn at Lakewood’s Fall Colors Celebration! Enjoy live music in the Garden Mausoleum courtyard (near the reflecting pool) amidst rows of scarlet-colored Autumn Blaze maple trees. Visitors can sip cider while they take a self-guided tour of our grounds or try a scavenger hunt activity for things like wildlife, cemetery symbols, artistic monuments and other interesting aspects of the grounds. They can also learn about metal casting and create their own Lakewood inspired metal sculpture, and enjoy free guided walking tours of the grounds with someone from Lakewood’s team.
This event is free and open to all! No registration is required.
Activities: FREE from 12-4pm
• Enjoy free cookies and apple cider as you stroll through Lakewood’s grounds and admire the beautiful changing tree canopy
• Enjoy acoustic music sets from local musicians in the Garden Mausoleum courtyard (near the reflecting pool). Musicians include: Big Hay Zeus, Alicia Thao, and the Twins of Franklin
• Learn more about metal casting – an important part of creating many of the monuments you see around our grounds – with a hands-on project with Pedal to the Metal (A travelling foundry) and create your own Lakewood themed metal cast in honor of our 150th Anniversary.
• Explore the grounds using our self-guided walking tour brochure (PDF) or grab a cemetery-inspired scavenger hunt at our Information tent to learn about the beauty of Lakewood – from our trees to our monuments.
• Walk through the historic Lakewood Memorial Chapel (tour brochures available)
• Take a guided walking tour with Lakewood staff
• Tie a ribbon to the Living Memory Tree to honor someone you’ve loved and lost
The Lakewood Memorial Chapel
While you’re enjoying the tree canopy, take a moment to stop by the chapel, which will be open to guests during this event. This stunning chapel is one of our city’s most beloved architectural treasures. Because of its incredible beauty and historical significance, it is a popular place for end-of-life ceremonies, weddings, concerts, tours and other celebrations of beauty, art and remembrance. Dedicated in 1910, the Chapel was modeled after the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul by prominent Minneapolis architect Harry Wild Jones. Its 10-million piece mosaic interior, created by New York designer Charles Lamb, features a 40-foot high dome ringed with stained glass windows and 12 mosaic angels.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Chapel is one of the finest examples of Byzantine mosaic architecture in the country. Learn more about the Lakewood Memorial Chapel.
WHEN: Sunday, October 10, 2021
Noon – 4 p.m.
WHERE: Lakewood Cemetery
3600 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55408
We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of this information. However, you should always call ahead to confirm dates, times, location, and other information.
To submit an event for consideration, consult our calendar policies and guidelines.