What’s Out There Weekend Twin Cities
September 18 @ 8:30 am - September 19 @ 5:00 pmFree
The Cultural Landscape Foundation (TCLF) announces What’s Out There Weekend Twin Cities, September 18-19, 2021, featuring free, expert-led tours of the parks, gardens, landscapes and open spaces in Minneapolis and St. Paul. These tours enable people to discover the design and cultural history of places they may pass every day but don’t necessarily know about. Expert guides provide rich stories, personal anecdotes, and keen observations about each site, its landscape architecture, city shaping, and cultural lifeways. The Twin Cities’ landscape legacy includes myriad parks and parkways, plazas and greenways, cultural and academic campuses, historic sites and neighborhoods.
TCLF will produce a printed guidebook, What’s Out There Weekend Twin Cities that will include all of the tour sites. This will be available for purchase and free as a downloadable PDF. TCLF is also creating an ever-growing digital What’s Out There Twin Cities guide. Both of these will be unveiled as part of the weekend event.
SATURDAY, September 18
• University of Minnesota – The Knoll, Scholars Walk, Northrop Mall | led by Elizabeth Gales (Hess Roise), Vera Westrum-Ostrum (University of Minnesota), Andrew Caddock (University of Minnesota), Frank Edgerton Martin (Frank Edgerton Martin LLC) – 8:30-10:30 AM
• U.S. Bank Stadium, Arches, The Commons, U.S. Federal Courthouse, Hennepin County Government Center | led by Chuck Evens (Damon Farber) – 8:30-10:30 AM
• United Cities Bike Tour | led by Richard Arey (Friends of the Saint Paul Parks and Trails) – 9:00 AM- 12:00 NOON
• Skateable Art Plaza, 26th Avenue Overlook, Farview Park | led Satoko Muratake (Ten x Ten), Andy Schilling (Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board), Dani Duque (Ryan Company), Kristen Murray (Juxtaposition Arts), James Garrett (4RM+ULA) – 10:00 AM- 12:00 NOON
• Lakewood Cemetery | led by Paul Aarested (Director of Buildings and Grounds) + Ross Altheimer (TEN x TEN) – 10:00 AM-12:00 NOON
• East Bank – Nicollet Island Pavilion, Water Power Park, St. Anthony Falls (Owamni), Father Hennepin Bluff Park, Mississippi Riverfront Regional Park, Stone Arch Bridge | led by Charlene Roise, Historian (Hess, Roise and Company) Ann Calvert, Planner (Former Principal Project Coordinator at Minneapolis Community Planning & Economic Development), Ted Tucker, Resident Story Teller (Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood), Julie Aldrich, Landscape Architect (Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board), Ken Grieshaber, Landscape Architect (SRF Consulting Group) -11:30 AM-1:30 PM
• Nicollet Mall and Peavey Plaza | led by Laura Kamin-Lyndgaard (Coen + Partners, Inc.), Shane Coen (Coen + Partners, Inc.), Peter Brown (New History), David Wilson (Green Minneapolis), and Mary Altman (Public Arts Administrator, City of Minneapolis) – 11:30 AM-1:30 PM
• Minnehaha Falls (Mnigaga), Coldwater Spring (Mni Owe Sni), Fort Snelling | led by Maura Rockcastle (Ten x Ten), Kate Beane (Minnesota Historical Society), and Iyekiyapiwin Darlene St. Clair (University of Minnesota and St.Cloud State University) – 1:00-3:00 PM
• Theodore Wirth Regional Park, Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden, Trailhead | led by Andrea Weber (Minnesota Department of Transportation), Tyler Pederson (Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board) – 1:00-3:00 PM
• West Bank – Nicollet Island Pavilion, Water Works, Mill Ruins Park, Stone Arch Bridge, Gold Medal Park | led by Kate Lamers (Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board), Bruce Chamberlain (Chamberlain + Partners), Tom Evers (Minneapolis Parks Foundation), Jean Garbarini (Damon Farber), Kjersti Monson (Duval Companies), Mark Andrew (GreenMark Enterprises LLC), John Anfinson (National Park Service), Mary Lynn Pulsher (Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board), Han Zhang (O2) – 2:30-4:30 PM
SUNDAY September 19
• Kellogg Mall, Raspberry Island/River Overlook, Harriet Island | led by Tim Griffin (Minnesota Design Center) – 9:00-10:30 AM
• Capitol, Capitol Memorials | led by Theodore Lee (HGA), Paul Mandell (Capitol Area Architecture Planning Board, retired) – 9:00-11:00 AM
• Indian Mounds Regional Park, Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary (Wakan Tipi) | led by Ellen Stewart (City of Saint Paul), Ramona Kitto Stately (We Are Still Here – MN) – 9:00-11:00 AM
• Rice Park, Landmark Plaza, Irvine Park, Upper Landing Park | led by Amy Mino (Minnesota Landmarks), Anne Gardner (City of Saint Paul), Elyse Jensen (Historic Irvine Park Association), Carol Carey (Historic Saint Paul) – 12:00-1:30PM
• Western Sculpture Park, Aurora St. AnthonyPeace Sanctuary Garden, Rondo Commemorative Plaza | led by Nathan Johnson (4RM+ULA) – 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM
• Loring Greenway, Loring Park, Walker Art Center Wuertle Upper Garden, Sculpture Garden | led Tadd Kreun (O2), Dana Murdoch (University of Minnesota), Theodore Lee (HGA) – 1:00-3:00PM
We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of this information. However, you should always call ahead to confirm dates, times, location, and other information.
To submit an event for consideration, consult our calendar policies and guidelines.