photo by thomas boemer
Yields 4 ham chops
4 ea. (5 lb. total) Bone-in pork chops
¼ cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup kosher salt
1 Tbsp. pink salt (optional for pink color and hammy texture)
2 cups water
2 cups ice water
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. orange peels
2 Tbsp. butter
1. Heat the sugar, brown sugar, salt, and pink salt in 2 cups of water until fully dissolved.
2. Add the ice water to cool brine and pour over the pork chops in large freezer bag or another container so that the pork chops are completely covered.
3. Leave in brine for 6 hours or overnight.
1. Combine brown sugar, orange juice, Dijon mustard, and orange peels and reduce until a glaze has formed (approx. 5 minutes on medium-high heat).
2. Swirl in butter to finish glaze.
1. Remove chops from brine and pat dry.
2. Cook approximately 2 minutes on each side in a large skillet and finish in oven until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
3. Add finish glaze and return to heat, continuously basting until chops are fully glazed.