I receive samples of various products from time to time and had to try this idea for mint chocolate mini tarts as it looked so incredibly easy—and it was. Plus, what’s not to like about chocolate and mint? I even made it at the office in our break room and it was a hit with coworkers.
These mini phyllo dough shells from Athens Foods come packaged in a box of 15 shells that are fully baked and ready to serve. Along with the shells I received a bag of Dove Mint & Dark Chocolate Swirl Promises. For this treat, all I needed to do was place the mini shells on a microwave-safe plate, put a Dove chocolate in each, and microwave for about a minute.
When you make these, you’ll need to be careful not to heat too long or the shells can begin to overcook and burn. The original recipe from the company calls for 30 shells (two boxes) heated for 75 seconds when filled with the chocolates, so adjust accordingly if you make less. I made one box at the office and a smaller batch of the tarts again to test at home, where the microwave is higher-powered and saw a couple start to smoke. It’s just that quick. My husband also thought these were tasty, too. The light and flaky layered pastry shells offer a little crunch and the minty chocolate was creamy—even hours after preparing. It’s also one of those treats that looks impressive for how easy it is.
The handy little shells would work great for mini quiche and a number of savory ideas, too. (They are found in the freezer section at the grocery store.)
To Prepare Mint Chocolate Swirl Phyllo Tarts
1. Remove shells from plastic tray and place shells on a microwavable dish.
2. Remove wrappers from Dove Mint & Dark Chocolate Swirl Promises.
3. Place one face down in each Athens Mini Fillo Shell
4. Microwave for about 75 seconds for 30 shells, less time according to number made (plus times vary depending on microwave oven).
5. Remove from microwave and tap each melted chocolate once lightly with a teaspoon.
6. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.