Whether you’re cooking a cozy dinner for two (and enjoy having leftovers) or preparing a meal for the family, this one-pan dinner is the perfect way to make an easy meal—plus you save some time on the cleanup. Earthy and sweet root vegetables are coated with tasty seasonings and roasted to tenderness in the oven before being bathed in the juices of steaks as they broil, says Twin Cities chef and cookbook author Robin Asbell, who created this recipe for Real Food. A tangy, creamy blue cheese sauce lends a steakhouse flavor to the meat and ties it all together.
Roasted Root Vegetables with Broiled Steaks and Blue Cheese Sauce
Makes 4 servings
8 ounces new potatoes, halved or quartered
2 large carrots, quartered and cut in ¼-inch slices
1 medium parsnip, quartered and cut in ¼-inch slices
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon salt, divided
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 (8-ounce) strip or other steaks, about 1 inch thick
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Blue Cheese Sauce
6 tablespoons half-and-half
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Move the top rack of your oven to 6 inches below the broiler (if your broiler is in the top of the oven). Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the potatoes, carrots, and parsnips on the sheet pan and sprinkle with rosemary and ½ teaspoon of the salt and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Toss to coat. Cover the pan with foil and roast for 15 minutes, then shake the pan and roast for 15 minutes longer.
- Let the steaks come to room temperature. Just before the vegetables are done, rub the steaks with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle both sides with remaining salt. Add pepper to taste.
- When the vegetables are done, take them out of the oven and turn the broiler on to high. Remove the foil and reserve.
- Use your spatula to stir the vegetables and move them to the middle of the pan. Place the steaks on top of the vegetables, covering them. If any vegetables are not covered, they will be burned by the broiler, so cover or remove them.
- Broil the steaks for 4 minutes, then take the pan out and turn the steaks, and broil for 3 to 4 minutes longer. Take out and cover loosely with foil for 5 minutes.
- To make the Blue Cheese Sauce, place the half-and-half and thyme in a small saucepan on the stove and warm over medium heat. Reduce to low if it starts to boil. When the steaks come out of the oven, whisk in the blue cheese, whisking until melted and smooth, then take off the heat.
- Serve the vegetables with steak, drizzled with blue cheese sauce.
Nutrition info (Per Serving): Calories 527 (246 From Fat); Fat 28g (Sat. 11g); Chol 154mg; Sodium 890mg; Carb 19g; Fiber 3g; Protein 52g