Think warm thoughts with The Fitting Room’s Resortwear Fashion Show + Shopping Party on Feb. 9.
Photo by svetlana_cherruty/Fotolia
Here are some Twin Cities style and shopping highlights in the next two weeks:
Valentine’s Day Pop-Up
Local makers Helen Wang, Madison Holler of Rubinski Works, Emma Carroll of EMdsign, and Meghan Nelson of Dottir Jewelry are all stopping by the Walker Art Center for a Valentine’s Day pop-up for you to find a piece for that special someone. If you have the kids that day, bring them along with; from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., the day is also the Free First Saturday: Cabin Fever 2019. Winter activities will be inside and outside with (snow allowing) snowshoe tours of the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, hands-on art-making, a winter film, and more. Feb. 2 with the pop-up starting at 11 a.m. @ Walker Art Center, 725 Vineland Place, Minneapolis, walkerart.org.
Love Shack with Moth Oddities
Shop vintage curators Moth Oddities‘ latest findings with a little Valentine’s spirit thrown in. There’s a “Kissing” Booth (perhaps the quotation marks denote Hershey’s Kisses?), Cosmic Cacao handmade chocolate, and the unspoken promise that if you read up on the event, you’ll have the refrain for “Love Shack” in your head. Feb. 2 from noon-4 p.m. @ Duke Albert, 2516 Central Ave. NE, Minneapolis, facebook.com.
Resortwear Fashion Show + Shopping Party
The Fitting Room’s designers are putting together early spring looks and resort wear that will make you dream of warmer days. All outfits will be available to purchase right after they hit the runway, but you’ll have to stop by the Hairpolice and MN NAF! Salon to get the complete look—those two are collaborating with The Fitting Room for the hair and makeup. Feb. 9 from 6:30-9:30 p.m. @ the Center for Performing Arts, 3754 Pleasant Ave., Minneapolis, thefittingroommpls.com.
When this class of graduating apparel design seniors began their journey at the University of Minnesota, there were 40 of them. Now there are 12. See their work at the College of Design’s annual fashion show, Feb. 2. Read more.
- Feb. 2: Femelle Spirit fashion show @ Sencha Tea Bar, evensi.us
- Feb. 7-10: February Showroom Dates, new items from LA, discounts on winter, new spring pieces @ Bring It! Accessories, Savage, facebook.com
- Feb. 9-10: Ladies in Scarlet at 13 Gears, steampunk fair @ Grain Belt Bottling House, Minneapolis, 13gears.yolasite.com
- Feb. 10: XO Affairs Fashion Show, couture lingerie from House of Nguyen and Melevated @ Belle Ame Lounge, Minneapolis, eventbrite.com
- Apparel, accessories, and home decor store Wilson & Willy’s announced the closing of its location in North Loop. Shop in person (it might be your last chance to say goodbye to shop dog Lamont) or online; both spots have 25 percent off discounts.
- Everyone was sad when Bibelot Shops announced their closing, but good news! They will now merge with White Bear Lake-based GoodThings to create GoodThings-Bibelot. While some Bibelot locations are still closing, the ones that are still open will get a refresh of inventory and a renovation. Read more at shopgoodthings.com.
- Fashion Week MN has announced the spring lineup (April 28-May 4), and it’s a good one. Some events that stand out right away on the 17-event lineup are Larissa Loden Jewelry‘s You’re a Gem Museum, Fox Den Salon‘s Fashion on the Fringe 2 (a four-salon onstage competition), and HWMR‘s King Kunta line launch.