Discover new designers, dive into the mysterious personas of storied ones, and more with online and in-person events these next two weeks.
A Virtual Screening About “The Banksy of Fashion”
Despite being Jean Paul Gaultier’s assistant, the creative director at Hermes, and eventually the leader of his own brand, Martin Margiela has never shown his face publicly. While we can’t promise you’ll see what he looks like in Martin Margiela: In His Own Words, a documentary presented by the MSP Film Society, we can promise an unprecedented look at his sketches, notes, and perspective as well as interviews with him and others. Through August 20 @ online, mspfilm.org.
St. Croix Vineyards Arts & Crafts Pop-Up
While this may not be the largest pop-up of local makers and businesses, it also comes with a winery’s beautiful scenery and delectable refreshments. Besides booths by Landre Gifts, Trades of Hope, and more, the event includes music by the Michael Handler Band and food by the Asian Invasion food truck (let us know which wines pair best with it). Only private tours are offered at this time, but you can enjoy wine by the flights, glass, or bottle. August 22 from noon to 5 p.m. @ St. Croix Vineyards, 6428 Manning Ave., Stillwater, scvwines.com.
Elevate & Amplify Marketplace
Join a virtual marketplace full of Black-owned retailers in Minneapolis and across the country, hosted by North Loop’s very own Queen Anna House of Fashion. This multi-day event has a fully structured schedule, including panels with names such as “How to Create Impactful Allyship in Business” and “Opening the Door to Uncomfortable but Necessary Discussions,” and depending on which day you shop, you’ll get to peruse different vendors. More highlights include a virtual swag bag for VIP guests, virtual networking events, and health and wellness demos. August 27-30 at various times @ online, eventbrite.com.
VOTE with Larissa Loden
We’ve already passed this month’s primary elections, and November’s general election is looming ever nearer. Get out the vote with the help of Larissa Loden’s limited VOTE earrings, necklace, or bead bracelets. If you get the bracelet, a part of Loden’s Do Good collection, 20% of the proceeds will be donated to Common Cause, a national, nonpartisan organization that aims to build an accessible and equitable democracy. Online @ larissaloden.com.
Don’t Forget About Farmers Markets
As we approach September—which, for all of you optimists, many people still consider summer—don’t forget that farmers markets are still going strong, many with makers peppered in among the produce. Here are some guidelines we wrote up at the beginning of the summer as well as some resources on how to find one near you.
- ICYMI: Longtime casual vintage favorites Moth Oddities is opening its first brick-and-mortar store in Nordeast sometime in September
- ICYMI: Love Your Melon launched a Peanuts-themed collection of bucket hats and caps.
- ICYMI: Heritage brand NWKC launched its newest small-batch experiment, a kids line
- Aug. 18: Foat Design Summer Sidewalk Sale @ the Fitting Room, Minneapolis
- Aug. 21: Sonic diamond cleaner brush Juli officially launches, created by Minnesota native Hannah Peck
- Aug. 23: Maximizing Your Wardrobe: Closet Organizing by One Posh Closet and Queen Anna House of Fashion @ online
- Aug. 20-23: Mainstream Boutique’s One-Year Anniversary ft. a re-grand opening ribbon cutting, giveaways, and Cookie Dough Bliss food truck @ Golden Valley
- Through Aug. 23: Sota Clothing Co.’s spring/summer sale is going on now, with discounts online through Aug. 19 and in store through Aug. 23
- Aug. 21-29: Virtual trunk show for TAP by Todd Pownell jewelry; plus through Nov. 3, Max’s is donating 10% of all TAP sales to the Lake Street Council/We Love Lake Street fund and NAACP Minneapolis @ online
- Aug. 27: Ladies Night sale and fall preview at Rust & Rose Boutique, Oak Park Heights
- Through Aug. 30: Minnesota Cozy pop-up marketplace ft. 40-plus artists @ Cliff Lake Centre, Eagan
- Through Sept. 7: Kokoon’s end of season sale with items at $10, $20, and $30, with new items being added every week
- Ongoing: Wild Isles’ end of season sale of swimsuits especially made for women with larger chests
- Ongoing: MartinPatrick3’s 60% off spring and summer sale is still going on for select apparel, accessories, shoes, and more
- Ongoing: Atelier957’s end of season sale with discounts up to 70%