Check out some of the Twin Cities’ style and shopping events during these next two weeks.
Chula Fashion Pop Up
Designers Laura Fontan and Diego Cortizas are bringing international brand Chula Fashion to its first Minnesota pop up at Impact Hub MSP. Fontan and Cortizas began their journey in Spain, but when they moved to Hanoi in 2004, they were inspired by the culture and the city. Chula was built on a philosophy of “combining simplicity in shape with radical designs,” as their website puts it, and that’s easy to see in the bold and colorful geometric patterns that make up some of their outfits as well as the more intricate line and graphic work that makes up others. Every look has been handmade by people in the local communities around their base shop in Hanoi, and as the couple only has stores in Thailand, Spain, and Vietnam, this might be the only time you’ll be able to try on the clothing in person. July 6 from noon to 4 p.m. @ Impact Hub MSP, 817 Fifth Ave. S., Suite 400, Minneapolis, eventbrite.com.
Quinn Villagomez of KFAI’s radio show Fresh Fruit is the person behind this fashion show, which means it’s going to be full of energy, creativity, and entertainment. For the second year in a row, fashion designers in Minnesota will choose an icon and create a look that embodies their essence. Among the 20 icons slated for the runway are: Beyonce (whose look is created by Keiona Cook of Qe’Bella Couture), Xena Warrior Princess (Stephanie Stensland), Guillermo del Toro (Patricia Mahnke of Chemistry Fashions), Will Smith (Miesha McIntyre), Brenda Fassie (Victor Molubah Farmah), Erte’ (Tonya Yarwood), and Whitney Houston’s version of the fairy godmother from Disney’s Rodgers and Hammerstein’s 1997 Cinderella (Mason Persons). July 14 from 6 to 10 p.m. @ LUSH, 990 Central Ave. NE, Minneapolis, eventbrite.com.
Artists in Anoka
The Anoka Riverfest & Craft Fair is July 13 in downtown Anoka, so besides the already quaint shops (personal favorites: Peterson Shoes—they have a cobbler, too!—and Truffles & Tortes), you can peruse more than 150 curated craft exhibitors and enjoy food, live entertainment, and a Kids’ Zone. At the same time, swing by the BIG White House for some extra goodies at the Two Rivers vintage outdoor flea market, plus extra sales inside the store. June 13 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. @ downtown Anoka (Anoka Riverfest & Craft Fair) and the BIG White House, 1900 Third Ave. S., Anoka.
Shades of Beauty Expo
Created as a culturally focused beauty and wellness expo for women of color, Shades of Beauty is in its fourth year. The day starts with an Ambassadors of Beauty Brunch featuring youth who are championing diversity in their communities. Then the rest of the day is filled exhibitors (with an emphasis on women- and minority-owned businesses), and events like a fashion show highlighting African print, cooking demonstrations, hair how-tos, and an extreme hip hop workout. July 13 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. @ St. Paul RiverCentre, 199 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, shadesofbeautyexpo.com.
- Now Open: North 61, featuring adventure goods, leather bags, up cycled apparel, and apparel for Minnesota lovers
- Through July 4: Red, White & Boom Sale @ Joe’s Sporting Goods, St. Paul
- July 5-7: Vintage and antique Traders Market @ Elko New Market
- July 6: TC Heat Exchange for vintage streetwear and sneakers @ A-Mill Artist Lofts, Minneapolis
- July 7: Fukubukuro (a Japanese shopping tradition of mystery Happy Grab Bags) @ Ridgedale Center, Minnetonka
- July 10: Women’s Event featuring globally inspired refreshments, spa education, raffle drawings, special discounts, and Somali, Spanish, Laotian, and Thai interpreters @ Crutchfield Dermatology, Eagan
- July 11: Open House with Aafusion Spa Salon, featuring refreshments, demonstrations, discounts, and more @ Burnsville
- July 12: Grand Opening for Restore Hyper Wellness featuring special discounts, free full body cryotherapy, and more @ Woodbury
- July 13: Grand Launch/Sip & Shop for 2KSisters, creators of luxury clothing made with African fabrics and all-natural skin care products made in Ghana @ Brooklyn Park
- July 13: Vintage on a Dime Sale from folks like Dearheart Vintage and Moth Oddities @ Minneapolis
- Through July 13: Max’s Semi-Annual Sale (30 to 80 percent off) @ The Shops at Excelsior & Grand
- July 14: Grand Opening for Pahn’s Beauty Salon @ St. Paul
- Ongoing Events: White Bear Lake’s Marketfest (Thursdays), Shop and Play Pop Up with De Kleine Winkel (Saturdays), Urban Growler Farmers Market (Sundays)
- July 2: Open House at Hyland Hills Chalet @ Bloomington
- July 12 & 13: Stella York & Essense 2020 Spring Collection—see and order them before they hit stores in January @ Luxe Bridal, Eagan
- July 12-14: Maria Elena Headpieces Trunk Show @ M. Elizabeth Bridal, Wayzata
- July 15: Open House at Elm Creek Chalet @ Maple Grove
- July 15: Open House at Silverwood Great Hall @ St. Anthony