Check out some of the Twin Cities style and shopping events this May.
Mother’s Day Flower Workshop
Learn the basics of floral arrangement and take home a beautiful bouquet at this workshop hosted by Jacquie’s Flowers at Xiaart. Go by yourself to make a homemade gift that’s a little more elegant than your elementary school arts and crafts or spend some time with your mom and make something together. May 11 from noon to 2 p.m. @ Xiaart, 422 University Ave. W, Suite 14, St. Paul, eventbrite.com.
Beautiful May Soiree
As part of Mall of America’s Beautiful May month-long event (think various discounts, specials, and demonstrations), the rotunda is going to be full of more than 30 retailers focused on well being, skin care, and beauty. May 11 from noon to 3 p.m. @ Mall of America, mallofamerica.com.
Mom’s Day Rooftop Yoga + Beer
Stretch out with your best female friend (mom or otherwise) on the rooftop of LynLake Brewery. (Rainy day? There’s an indoor option.) Post-yoga, sip some beer, pick a flower donated by Flowers Plus of Elk River, sink into a complimentary chair massage from Well Adjusted Eden Prairie, and grab a professional pic from Haley Marie Photography. May 12 from 11 a.m. to noon @ LynLake Brewery, 2934 Ave. S, Minneapolis, ombrewers.com.
Unique Market Spring Pop-Up
More than 36 vendors (including Skipping Lilies from our spring jewelry roundup!) will be bringing their best hats (Karen Morris), apparel (Winsome Goods and many others), foods (Nikkolette’s Macarons), photography (Avant Garden), and beauty products (Ballerina Botanicals Organic Skincare) to the Machine Shop this Mother’s Day. Play around with their DIY projects and interactive photo walls, and relax and chat in the luxe lounge. May 12 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. @ Machine Shop, Minneapolis, 300 Second St. SE, Minneapolis, uniquemarkets.com.
Other Mother’s Day Events
- May 9: Mom’s Day Out @ The Woods Gifts of Woodbury, facebook.com
- May 10 & 11: Messages for Mom @ JB Hudson Jewelers, Minneapolis, facebook.com
- May 10 & 11: Mother’s Day Earring Trunk Show @ Continental Diamond, Minneapolis, facebook.com
- May 11: A Handmade Mother’s Day craft market @ Royal Foundry Craft Spirits, Minneapolis, facebook.com
- May 11: Mother’s Day local maker pop up and brunch specials at Esker Grove @ Walker Art Center, facebook.com
- May 12: Mother’s Day brunch, make and take, and races @ Canterbury Park, Shakopee, canterburypark.com
Third Thursday: Fashion Night at Mia
For Mia’s late night Thursday, they’re diving deep into our local fashion with the opening of the exhibition, “The Art of High Style: Minnesota Couture 1880-1914” (yeah, it existed back then), a Then & Now Fashion Show, and activities like illustrating your own fashion sketch and making a fashion mood board. The fashion show is put on with the help of the Fitting Room and features designers like Alma Mia, Joleen Torvick, Strey Design Handbags, and more. May 16 from 6 to 9 p.m. @ Minneapolis Institute of Art, 2400 Third Ave. S, Minneapolis, new.artsmia.org.
Joynoelle’s “Ringmaster” for the Goldstein
Before Joy Teiken’s couture collection, whet your style appetite with five capsule collections from her atelier students, sip a cocktail and some wine, mingle, and learn more about the Goldstein Museum of Design at the University of Minnesota, one of the only design museums in the country. Then, be prepared for Teiken’s collection inspired by the women who have stepped into the middle of today’s chaos and taken charge. She calls them the ringmasters. The collection is more than 20 pieces, one of the models is Dessa, and you can keep the party going with the after-party at the Goldstein. May 16 from 6 to 10 p.m. @ Aria, 105 N First St., Minneapolis, joynoelle.com.
Don’t miss the largest open studio tour in the country with almost 800 artists in almost 60 locations. Enough said. (Well, I could also mention something about the live music, the all-encompassing list of art genres, and the activities, but … I already said enough said.) May 17-19 @ various Northeast Minneapolis locations, nemaa.org.
North Loop Spring Crawl
One day before North Loop’s food truck fair, more than 15 North Loop stores like D.Nolo, Love Your Melon, Queen House of Fashion, MartinPatrick 3, and Hazel & Rose are participating in the North Loop Spring (shopping) Crawl, complete with a passport. Each stop on the journey includes a special something, whether it’s a sale, refreshments, giveaways, or more. And, of course, there’s an after party at a secret location. May 18 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. @ North Loop, Minneapolis, facebook.com.
Don’t Miss the Boat 2019
In the fifth annual fundraiser for the Mac Greeman Foundation, go on a three-hour boat cruise down the St. Croix River. Besides the scenery, enjoy a fashion show, silent auction, casino games, live entertainment, movie screening and more. May 19 from 2:30 to 6 p.m.@ Stillwater Boat & Packet, 525 Main St. S, Stillwater, eventbrite.com.
- May 9-11: Highway 61 Spring Junk Jaunt @ various location, facebook.com
- May 10: STREY Collective Grand Opening @ Mall of America, facebook.com
- May 11: Maker’s Market @ Frank Modern, Minneapolis, facebook.com
- May 11: Troentorp Spring Sale @ Troentorp, Minneapolis, facebook.com
- May 18: Rosedale Center Purse Bingo @ Revolution Hall Rosedale, eventbrite.com
- Through May 19: You’re a Gem by Larissa Loden @ Northrup King Building, Suite 332, Minneapolis, youreagemmsp.com
- May 19: Crafts & Drafts Spring Artisan Market @ Excelsior Brewing Co., facebook.com