Pair your fashion with French pastries, comedy and music, art, or networking these next two weeks in the Twin Cities.
Black Fashion Week MN and More
While Fashion Week MN has been cancelled this fall, Black Fashion Week MN is alive and kicking, starting with its traditional Maskerade A-List Mixer (get the pun?) combined with a fashion show by Hi Hi Creative and Luuli Collection, a modest apparel and swimwear brand (Sept. 23). The week ends with the Black Man Magic Show featuring Supply Mpls, Thea Couture, Gilded Roots KD Designs, and Tiger Martin Studios (Oct. 3), and more events are still being announced, like the Essence of Fall Exhibit on display at the Galleria through October. While not part of Black Fashion Week MN, also check out NUBIUltimate Runway, featuring designs made of the colorful Ankara fabric (Sept. 27).
Ooh La La Fall Fashion Fundraiser
Back for the third year in a row, the fashion fundraiser for Alliance Francaise Mpls/St. Paul is bringing high end local fashion to the outdoor velodrome cycling track at Royal Foundry Craft Spirits. See the latest trends from MartinPatrick3, Statement Boutique, and more on the runway before shopping at the pop-up market. To add to the festivities, delectable French pastries from Marc Heu Patisserie Paris, coffee, and cocktails will be there for your enjoyment. September 27 from 10 a.m. to noon @ Royal Foundry Craft Spirits, 227 Colfax Ave. N, Minneapolis, afmsp.org.
Art Heals Mini Event No. 2 at Local Motion
It started as a tribute to the canceled Uptown Art Fair, but these Art Heals mini art pop ups at Local Motion boutique and gallery have a charm all their own. For a second weekend, about a dozen local artists will create a pop-up market outside Local Motion, and the $5 reservation fee can be used toward your purchase that day or as a donation to support local artists. September 25-27 at various times @ Local Motion, 2813 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, bpt.me.
Fall Festival Shopping
Both Excelsior and White Bear Lake are celebrating the season with Apple Fest (Sept. 18 & 19) and Fall Frenzy (Sept. 24-26), respectively. At Apple Fest, mini apple treats will be on the menus at restaurants like Lago Tacos and Joey Nova’s (can someone say apple strudel?), and sidewalk sales and specials abound at places like Amore & Fede, Ooh La La Boutique, Sweet Nautical, the Golden Rule, MN Makers, Primp, and Brightwater. Fall Frenzy has its possible retail specials a little more under wraps, but shoppers may want to mark their calendars for the Ladies Night Out on Friday, September 24.
While not officially a fall festival, you’ll get plenty of fresh air during your Selby Stroll (Sept. 26) as you go from Fairview to Saratoga Avenue. Besides the special promotions and sidewalk sales that shops like Lula Vintage and Tennis on Selby are doing, live music will be filtering through the air and our local restaurants’ outdoor and patio dining will be in full swing.
Pay Gap Comedy & Music Festival
Put on by Rock What You Got, formerly known as the Twin Cities Women’s Expo, this festival gets you back at the state fairgrounds this year with comedians including Mary Jo Pehl, Mary Mack, and Miss Shannan Paul as well as musicians like Kat Perkins, Jearlun and Jevetta Steele, and Devon Worley. Between the sets, check out the local makers mart with vendors such as Hippy Feet, Curly Girl Boutique, and Julie Meyer Leather Goods. September 26 from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. @ Minnesota State Fairgrounds, 1265 Snelling Ave. N, St. Paul, rockwhatyougotlive.com.
Twin Cities Bridal Show
No matter what stage of wedding planning you’re at, the Wedding Guys want to help you connect with the right vendors. The Aisle of Style of fashion show is a must (socially distanced, of course), and the Inspiration Station can help you set the mood for your day. Unlike past Twin Cities Bridal Shows, tickets will be purchased in two-hour time slots to keep in line with COVID recommendations. September 27 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. @ St. Paul RiverCentre, St. Paul, theweddingguys.com.
- ICYMI: New fall collections by local designers such as Mx Apparel and Dallas Dawes
- Ongoing: End of season sale up to 80% off @ MartinPatrick3, Minneapolis
- Ongoing: 30% off studio sale and Quilted Schoeller items @ NWKC
- Sept. 15: Fall Fest market pop-up @ 7 Vines Vineyard and Winery, Dellwood
- Sept. 15: Vintage View: Building the Collection, the how-tos of estate jewelry collecting by JB Hudson @ online
- Sept. 15: Facebook Live sale by We R., a closet for curvy girls @ online
- Sept. 16: Donation sale (bring a donatable clothing item, receive 15% off) @ Evereve, Wayzata
- Sept. 17-19: Exceptional Diamond Event with 10-50% discounts on diamond pieces @ R.F. Moeller, Edina and St. Paul
- Sept. 17-20: Gatherings, a harvest and fall themed market @ Haupt Antiek Market, Apple Valley
- Sept. 17 & 18, 26 & 27: Trunk shows by Charlie B and Anorak @ GoodStyle, White Bear Lake (first weekend), and GoodThings, Grand Avenue (second weekend)
- Sept. 18 & 19: Grand opening @ Laketown Home and Garden, Waconia
- Sept. 18 & 19: June’s last outdoor sidewalk sale of 2020 ft. Lori Barbara, Glam Diggers, and Shelley Spargur @ June, Minneapolis
- Sept. 19: Grand opening @ Eye Candy Couture, Minneapolis
- Sept. 19: Trunk show by Scott J Lehmann @ the Fitting Room, Minneapolis
- Sept. 19: Thai Night Market ft. vendors and street food @ Wat Promwachirayan, St. Louis Park
- Sept. 19 & 20: LongFellow Fall Festival ft. floral classes and open air market @ Sorderberg’s Floral & Gift, Minneapolis
- Sept. 20: Indoor/outdoor flea market ft. more than 80 vendors @ Trove, Stillwater
- Through Sept. 20: 20-50% off scratch sale @ Grethen House, in store at Minneapolis and Edina and online
- Sept. 26: The World Jubilee Outdoor Fair Trade Market ft. Ten Thousand Villages, Fair Anita, and more @ Minneapolis Farmers Market @ Lyndale
- Sept. 26: Shop Safe Vintage Market by Wanderer Traveling Boutique @ Indeed Brewing, Minneapolis
- Sept. 26: Trunk show by Alma Mia @ the Fitting Room, Minneapolis
- Sept. 24-27: GoodThings Grand Get Together ft. locally made Minnesota-themed goodies @ GoodThings and Bibelot stores, various locations