To cultivate strong families across Minnesota by connecting them with one another for support and information so they become empowered advocates improving health and quality of life for children and youth with special healthcare needs.
KEY SERVICES PROVIDED
When you have a child or youth who have chronic healthcare needs or disabilities you often feel scared, anxious, and alone. Although family and friends have good intentions and try to give support, they often don’t “Get It!”
Family Voices of MN has a free statewide parent-to-parent program for families who have children with chronic and complex healthcare needs or disabilities. Our program is called CONNECTED. Through our statewide support network of trained parents, we are able to provide parents of children with special needs the information and support needed for themselves and their family.
When parents get CONNECTED they receive:
• Connection with another parent who has a child with similar needs or circumstances
• Information from another parent who has received special training
• Emotional support that provides understanding and acceptance so they do not feel alone
• Assistance finding services including healthcare, educational, financial, and community living
• Education, empowerment and encouragement to partner with their child’s providers
Quotes from parents who have used our program:
“I know that I’m not alone — that there is someone to help me find my way, even when all seems impossible, even when I feel lost.”
“Only other parents of kids with special needs truly understand the struggles and triumphs. I would feel isolated with- out them.”
Executive Director, Parent: Carolyn Allshouse
Program Coordinator, Parent: Tricia Brisbine
Parent: John Bellows, B.A., J.D. Brooks Donald, MD, MPH David Griffin, MS, MD Susan Wingert, RT Erica Butler
• Family Voices of Minnesota Sixth Annual Benefit – “Connecting Hearts, Raising Voices” Friday, November 3, 2017 Silverwood Park Grand Hall, New Brighton Online reservations at familyvoicesmn.org
• Give Twin Cities Challenge – July 20 – August 24, 2017 Help us raise money for this important program!
Give Twin Cities Challenge: www.crowdrise.com/connected
FAMILY VOICES OF MN
PO Box 2234 Stillwater, MN 55802