It all begins with four simple words, “Will you marry me?” And with that question, your life is forever changed. You are no longer a “me,” but a “we.” It is no longer “my dreams, my family, my future,” but “our dreams, our family, our future.” A wedding is the beginning of a new chapter in your life.
But before you walk (or dance) down the aisle, you need to figure out a lot of details.
Enter The Wedding Guys™, Matthew Trettel and Bruce Vassar, recognized internationally as leading authorities on wedding celebrations. Their fun, energetic personalities, keen eye for detail, and passionate love for all things wedding gives couples a fresh new approach to wedding planning.
The Wedding Guys bring years of industry knowledge and trend-forward expertise to Twin Cities couples through their Signature Weddings, Twin Cities Bridal Show, and Unveiled—The Ultimate Wedding Planning Event. They associate and collaborate with leading international couture bridal gown designers—keeping a pulse on fashion trends—while actively working with trendsetting artisans, designers, couturiers, and producers who are leaders in their respective fields.
They will take you from “to-do” to “I do!” in a new eight-part series, “Wedding Guys Wednesdays.” They’ll share fashion advice, answer common questions about ceremony and reception etiquette, and provide the ‘inside track’ on trends and tips to planning your own signature wedding. Along the way, there will be contests and ticket giveaways to the Twin Cities Bridal Show Sept. 20 at the St. Paul RiverCentre.
Don’t waffle on impressing your guests!
Move over cupcakes and doughnuts, waffles have become the hot new trend. We’ve been seeing this craze in five-star restaurants and street markets a-like. Seems like people can’t get enough of of this home spun craze. From savory appetizers like Mini Chicken n’ Waffles, to delectable desserts like Chocolate Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches, everything looks better with a waffle. Here are two of our favorite recipes:
Mini Chicken n’ Waffles
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 chicken thighs, boneless with skin on, cut into small ½ inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce- Texas Pete or Tabasco
- 1 16oz bottle of peanut oil
- Maple syrup
- Mini Toaster Waffles (at least 20 individual rounds)
For the flour mixture:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne
Remove the leaves from 5-6 sprigs thyme and mince finely. Set aside. Cut the chicken thighs into small ½-inch square pieces leaving some skin on each little piece. Toss with 1 teaspoon of salt, a few grinds of freshly cracked pepper and 1 tablespoon of the minced thyme. In a medium bowl mix the buttermilk with 1 tablespoon of hot sauce (I like Texas Pete) and add the seasoned chicken pieces to the buttermilk mixture. Stir well and add any remaining sprigs of thyme to the buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove the chicken in buttermilk from the fridge and drain in a colander. Scoop 2 cups of flour in a pie plate or shallow bowl and season with 2 teaspoons salt, black pepper and ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper. Add the chicken pieces to the flour mixture and toss well, thickly coating each piece. In a large saucepan heat 2-3 inches of peanut oil to high heat, (approximately 350 degrees). Carefully add your chicken in batches, being mindful not to splatter or crowd the pan or the temperature of the oil will drop. Stir occasionally until nicely browned on all sides and then remove to a paper towel to drain. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces. Toast the mini waffle rounds until golden brown and top each round with a piece of warm fried chicken. Drizzle with warm maple syrup before serving.
Chocolate Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
- ½ box frozen mini chocolate waffles (4 sheets), defrosted
- 1 pint coffee ice cream, softened
- â…“ cup freeze-dried raspberries, crushed
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Create an assembly line:
- Toast the waffle sheets light in the toaster, and break each sheet into 4 individual waffles.
- Scoop mini scoops of ice cream onto half of the waffles.
- Top each ice cream scoop with another waffle.
- Have the freeze-dried raspberries crushed in a bowl on the side.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Pulse in the microwave on medium for 20 seconds. Stir and pulse again until the chocolate is almost entirely melted. Stir to melt entirely.
- Dip half of each waffle sandwich in the melted chocolate.
- Roll each waffle sandwich in the crushed raspberries.
- Serve immediately.