Spring is officially here, and that means that every cooped up Minnesotan will be looking for an excuse to leave the house. This spring break, there’s no need to worry about planning a major flight or cross-country road trip. Covering nearby destinations, faraway hidden gems, and everything in between, we’ve put together a one-stop guide for your local spring vacation needs.
Twin Cities Staycations
- If the weather’s cooperating, make it a point to stop by Minnehaha Falls and watch the spring warm-up in action (goodbye, ice!).
Uptown Minneapolis must have the most restaurants with patios and rooftop seating in the Cities including LynLake Brewery, Libertine, and Stella’s Fish Cafe. Stella’s rooftop patio opens April 15, rain or shine.
- The 21st annual Art-a-Whirl hits Northeast Minneapolis May 20-22. Northeast Minneapolis Arts Association’s event is one of many examples of the neighborhood’s strong arts and creative scene.
- Nearby Hudson, Wisconsin has a bustling downtown area to rival that of Stillwater. Public cruises on the beautiful St. Croix River begin in May.
- If you have the family in tow, scenic Mankato is a great spring destination for outdoor fun. Public park Sibley Farm, which turns into a petting zoo each spring, opens this year on April 16.
- It’s the time of year when kids are desperate to break out their swimsuits, but chunks of ice are still lingering in the lake. Wisconsin Dells is a great indoor option, and it’s not too far to take the Amtrak there.
- Since Grand Marais is so far north, several of its restaurants close down for the winter. This includes favorites World’s Best Donuts and Angry Trout Cafe, which open for the season in May. Its proximity to the Lake Superior shore also afford many picturesque hiking and camping opportunities.
- If you and the girls want a weekend getaway, look no further than Nisswa’s Grand View Lodge, the quintessential Up North resort. Their spring break package is available through April 9.
- The outdoors enthusiast in you will love Walker’s abundant fishing, but there’s more to the city than its breathtaking lakeside views. Lakeside resort Chase on the Lake offers a spring break package—complete with spa treatments—through April 3.