Parents of pooches, unite!
It’s the perfect time to take a trip down St. Paul’s historic Grand Avenue, thanks to the Grand Avenue Business Association. Paws on Grand, an annual event for pets, to benefit pets, is this Sunday, August 5, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Paws aside, Grand Avenue is one of my favorite neighorhoods to wander on a Sunday afternoon. Grab a decadent mocha and white-chocolate raspberry scone at Cafe Latte, or the bottomless brunch at Dixie’s, and then take in the area’s shops, sun, and general calm. Add in all of this Sunday’s draws—you needed to walk the dog and give her a bath anyway, right?—and the fact that you’re helping all sorts of local pet rescue organizations (like The Pet Project) while enjoying yourself, and it’s a bang-up summer afternoon.
Attendees are encouraged to stop by The Pet Project booths to donate $10 and receive a PawsPort, good for prizes and giveaways along Grand Avenue throughout the day. Finish every stop and return for a chance to win some even bigger prizes.
What else can you and your pooch expect?
- Pet Portraits: Created for free (though donations encouraged) by Wet Paint Inc.
- Dog Wash: It’s your day off; Frattallone’s will be hosting dog washes (650 Grand Ave.) and Homeward Bound Rescue adoptions (1676 Grand Ave.) at its stores.
- Massages: Perfect for pet and owner, courtesy of Aspire Chiropractic
- Learning: Kids can read to a dog at the Red Balloon Bookshop (12-5 p.m.) or head to Ramsey Jr. High (1700 Summit Ave.) from 2-4 p.m. to meet with the Canine Coach and McGruff
- Treats: All sorts of god-friendly food will be available, like Frosty Paws Ice Cream outside Grand Ole Creamery, Bowzer Beer from Bonfire and Dog Days and Doggie Fro-yo at Ramsey Jr. High.
- Kisses & Commitments: Walk down the puppy aisle at the Wedding Shoppe (1196 Grand Ave.) and stop by the boxer-kissing booth for a smooch and to cool off, to benefit the Minnesota Boxer Rescue.
- Rescues: Visit the Ramsey Jr. High (1700 Summit Ave.) to also see a number of adorable animals from the various rescues involved in the event, including Minnesota Boxer Rescue, Midwest Pitbull Rescue and Midwest Shiba Inu Rescue.
Learn more at grandave.com.