If you want to feel the thrill of whizzing over snow-covered hills, it’s not hard to find trails in the home of Polaris and Arctic Cat. Minnesotans love to take advantage of the more than 22,000 miles of groomed snowmobiling trails that grace the state. Just outside of the metro area, you will find miles upon miles of trails to explore. One of the closest trails to the Twin Cities is located in Shakopee. Cruise next to the Minnesota River on the Scott County Trail and rent equipment at nearby Cities Edge Motorsports.
For the adrenaline-junkies, Elk River is home to a snowcross haven, ERX Motor Park. The year-round motorsports facility draws in snowcross enthusiasts from around the state to watch professionals race snowmobiles around the track. Visitors can also sharpen their skills or try snowcross for the first time at open practice days throughout the winter.
If you have never gone snowmobiling, or need a reminder, are some tips before you jet off into the expansive frozen landscape:
- Calculate the time of sunrise and sunset before you go, so you don’t get trapped away from civilization after dark. The same goes for weather conditions.
- Never ride alone in case one machine runs out of gas or is disabled.
- This one should come as no surprise but must be stated nonetheless—don’t drink and drive.
- Dress in layers and always wear a helmet and facemask.
- Keep on the right side of the path, as almost every trail allows for two-way traffic. And always stay on the designated trails—venturing off can cause accidents or trespassing.