Play me a Celtic tune, and I’ll immediately smile—at least internally. (An Irish heritage and studying abroad in Galway is a powerful thing.)
Serve me my favorite sandwich, a Reuben, with my favorite drink, a Strongbow, followed up by an Irish Car Bomb Cupcake, on Selection Sunday, with those tunes and family and friends around?! Perfection. Joy. And by the grace of all things green, this ultimate day can occur this very weekend.
The bulk of Twin Cities festitives are occuring on Saturday, March 16, with the biggest and baddest happening on the East Side. St. Paul’s parade is in its 47th year and begins at noon, ending in Rice Park. Make your way afterward through the packed streets over to West 7th Street near the Xcel Energy Center to take part in a “Block Party” full of good food, music, and other entertainment at many establishments in the area from 2-10 p.m. Note: If you’re on the other side of town, the Minneapolis parade is in the evening, starting at 6:30 p.m.
- March 16 & 17: St. Patrick’s Day Irish Celebration, Landmark Center ($6 adults, $4 children / 9 a.m.-5 p.m. & 11 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- March 16 & 17: Irish Heritage at the Hill House, James J. Hill House ($9 adults, $7 seniors & college students, $6 for children age 6 to 17; $2 discount for MHS members / 10 a.m.-4 p.m. & 1-4 p.m.)
- March 16 & 17: 22nd Annual “World’s Shortest St. Patrick’s Day Parade” and Celebrations, O’Gara’s Pub (Free / 3 p.m.-2 a.m.)
- March 17: Como Park Zoo and Conservatory’s Music Under Glass featuring The Center for Irish Music (Free / 4:30–6:30 p.m.)
Plus Irish pubs sure to be servin’ up pints and good craic:
- The Anchor Fish & Chips (302 13th Ave. N.E., Minneapolis)
- Charlies (Water Street Inn, 101 Water St South, Stillwater)
- Cooper (1607 Park Place Blvd., St. Louis Park)
- Cork’s (175 10th St. E., St. Paul)
- Jake O’Connor’s (200 Water St., Excelsior)
- JJ Murphy’s (10400 Baltimore St. N.E., Blaine)
- Keegan’s (16 University Ave. N.E., Minneapolis)
- Kieran’s (601 First Ave. N., Minneapolis)
- The Liffey (175 W. Seventh St., St. Paul)
- The Local (931 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis)
- McGarry’s (5189 Main St. E, Maple Plain)
- O’Donovan’s (700 First Ave. N., Minneapolis)
- O’Gara’s (164 N. Snelling Avenue, St. Paul)
- Patrick McGovern’s (225 7th St W, St Paul)
Remember to celebrate responsibly. It’s easy and free, thanks to Miller Lite Free Rides: Get a safe and free trip home on buses, light rail or the Northstar on March 16 starting at 6 p.m. (through the last scheduled trips on routes operated by Metro Transit, the Met Council and Minnesota Valley Transit Authority).