I may or may not have spent two whole weekdays in a Joe Senser’s sports bar last March, eating far too many fried pickles, onions, and potatoes, watching 32 basketball games.
Ok I did. They were the first full (dramatic!) days of the 2012 NCAA Tournament. Fellow fans will remember Norfolk State (15) narrowly edging out Missouri (2), Ohio State (13) beating Michigan (4), and the ultimate Cinderellas, littleknown Lehigh (15) taking down behemoth Duke (2)! It was a remarkable start to what’s always a riveting tournament for basketball fans, and I’m so glad I saw it.
Despite all the statistics and remarkable side stories, it’s often your viewing atmosphere and company that add to the excitement of such unbelievable endings—and that’s where our sports bars come in.
My favorite around the Twin Cities is the aforementioned Joe Senser’s because they have every sports channel known to man, plus portable speakers you can set on your table. That means flipping audio between multiple games while watching on numerous large screens at the same time.
Of course, plenty of restaurants and bars have TVs, so if keeping a loose eye on scores and highlights is all you need, you’ll be set all over the Twin Cities. But if you’re like me and spent more time filling out your bracket than the Papal Conclave recently spent selecting the new pope* (*Bah-dum-cha! Joke totally stolen from someecards.), you’ll want to go with the real deals.
Here are some options:
- The Alley Sports Tavern: 100 N 6th Street, Minneapolis, 612-367-8365, thealleysportstavern.com
- Buffalo Wild Wings: Many locations; check buffalowildwings.com
- Dave & Buster’s Sports Bar: 11780 Fountains Way, Maple Grove, 763-493-9815, bestsportsbarever.com
- Hubert’s Sports Bar and Grill: 600 N 1st Ave., Mpls., 612-767-2960, hubertsmpls.com
- Joe Senser’s Sports Theater: 2350 Cleveland Ave. N, Roseville, 651-631-1781 / 4217 American Boulevard West, Bloomington, 952-835-1191 / sensers.com
- Neisen’s Sports Bar and Grill: 4851 W 123rd St., Savage, 952-846-4513, restaurantsportsbarbanquetmn.com
- Sak’s Sports Bar: 1460 County Rd E East, Vadnais Heights, saksbar.com
- Sky Deck Sports Grille: 401 E. Broadway, Bloomington, skydecklanes.com
- Tiffany Sports Lounge: 2051 Ford Pkwy, St. Paul, 651-690-4747, tiffanysportslounge.com
- Wild Bill’s Sports Saloon: 15020 Glazier Ave., Apple Valley, 952-432-2455, wildbillssportssaloon.com