Like Las Vegas, there are certain things better left unmentioned after a girls weekend—unless you’re traveling with me, a travel blogger.
Of course I’m kidding. Sort of.
You see, last summer my soon-to-be sister-in-law invited me (and a handful of friends, plus the MOB and MOG) to celebrate her Bachelorette weekend at Grand View Lodge in Nisswa, Minn., and I’ve been wanting to write about it ever since.
Having grown up on a lake, my family wasn’t much for northern adventures, camping or cabins. Our home was just that.
But turns out Grand View, a two and 1/2 hour drive northwest of Minneapolis, is a great summer escape I can imagine—and saw—many families experiencing, along with us bachelorettes.
Our multi-level cabin with many bedrooms, two bathrooms, a full kitchen plus entertainment room, living room, and patio easily catered to twelve women, which is quite a feat. It had that luxurious lodge feel one craves when getting away from modern day. (From suites to villas, cottages, and cabins, any size family or group can really stay comfortably.) But due to the criss-cross-hope-you-die spit-shake we all took, many details cannot be shared here. (I know, I know, but I promised.)
Some highlights that are safe:
- The upper-level patio was perfect for welcoming cocktails as the girls arrived at various times
- Big kitchen and dining room table served up delicious first-night MOB Italian meal
- Local Zorbas Bar provided late-night frivolity (we’ll definitely leave it at that)
- The backyard fire pit served well for post-party chatter
- Rentable pontoons ideal for second-day restful afternoon outing on Gull Lake
- Tasty dinner at the Grand View Lodge Dining Room gave us a reason to dress up
Turns out there’s a lot more we didn’t take in: Championship golf courses (so guys, you can get away too), the Glacial Waters Spa (massages, manicures, and more), Kid’s Club and Adventure Club (daily supervised kids activities), and more.
As we all packed the cars with smiles and a few of us shaking our heads at the weekend’s fun, the bride-to-be asked the MOG a very important question: Can I still marry your son?!
Never fear, the answer was a resounding yes. And a year later we’re itchin’ to go back for round two.
Grand View Lodge on Gull Lake
23521 Nokomis Ave., Nisswa, MN 56468
Photos by Todd Buchanan