Check out some of the Twin Cities style and shopping events in the next two weeks.
Art in Bloom
The only frustrating part of this four-day festival can be finding parking, it’s that popular. Last year, a record-breaking 52,000 people visited the museum to see the art-inspired flower sculptures and attend the events. On the docket for its 36th year are, of course, the 160-plus floral arrangements and florist installations, a floral couture show (April 11), an Art in Bloom Fashion Show & Formal Luncheon (April 12), and more. April 11-14 @ Minneapolis Institute of Art, 2400 Third Ave. S, Minneapolis, artsmia.org.
Style Edina Fashion Show
Southdale, the Galleria, and 50th & France have always been some of the shopping hotspots in the Twin Cities, and you can see the best of the season at the Style Edina Fashion Show. Before the fashion show begins at 11:30 a.m., you can enjoy mimosas, brunch, and pop up shops, and after the show, you can keep shopping. Proceeds from the event support the Edina Education Fund. April 13 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. @ Westin Edina Galleria, 3201 Galleria, Edina, eventbrite.com.
Hmong Arts & Crafts Fair
See just some of the talented creators in the Hmong community like jewelry maker Peyton and Grace Co., kid apparel maker Jaks, and press-on nails you can do at home from the Nail Box Shoppe. Free door prizes, a free egg hunt for the kids, and delicious food and drinks round out the event. April 13 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. @ Gethsemane Lutheran School, 2410 Stillwater Road E, Maplewood, facebook.com.
Black Fashion Week Minnesota
The second annual Black Fashion Week kicks off April 18 with the A List Mixer at the Moxy Minneapolis Uptown and rolls out a lineup of the Black Hearts Ball (April 19) with eight designers including Samantha Rei, Hitomi K, and CJW Designs; a fashion bazaar (April 20); 40Lux (April 26), which makes the very clear point that ages 40 and up are their own prime; and the Black Man Magic Fashion Show (April 27) featuring visiting iconic designer Karl Kani. April 18-27 @ various locations in Minneapolis, facebook.com.
The Collective 2019
The LAB’s annual event features some of the Twin Cities’ best makers and entrepreneurs and gives you a highly curated day of learning, shopping, and creating. The first floor of the LAB has been taken over by a marketplace with vendors like Blncd Naturals, Colored Organics, and Les Bags. The third floor has a speaker lineup, craft demonstrations, and mini LABs. Some of our favorites from the schedule are Clair Daley’s calligraphy demo and Jerrod Sumner’s talk on having the right mindset for the creative process. April 20 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. @ LAB Headquarters, 1629 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, labmpls.com.
Shaping Fashion: An Exploration of Sustainable & Ethical Fashion
This day-long event has full lineup of speakers and workshops, plus an ethical marketplace made up of local and nonlocal brands and artisans. Topics cover sustainable vs. ethical fashion, building an inclusive fashion industry, feminism and fashion, and the secrets of secondhand styling (this event includes Ian O’Neill of Moth Oddities—check out their sale April 12, see below). April 20 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. @ Holden Room, 145 Holden St. N, Minneapolis, eventbrite.com.
- April 10: The official launch of the Wedding Market, an online wedding boutique with where you can choose decoration, planning, and unique ceremony and reception features a la carte @ All Square, Minneapolis, facebook.com
- April 11: Bubbles and Bling Styling Event, 20 percent discounts on all accessories, such as veils, earrings, belts, hair pieces and combs, necklaces, and garters (10 percent off all special orders) @ Luxe Bridal, Eagan, facebook.com
- April 12 & 13: Spring Ring Event @ Continental Diamond, Minneapolis, continentaldiamond.com
- April 15 & 16: Silverwood Great Hall Open House and Hyland Hills Chalet, respectively @ St. Anthony and Bloomington, threeriversparks.org
- April 18-20: Trunk Show for Justin Alexander and 10 percent sale @ Bridal Accent Couture, Burnsville, facebook.com
- April 19-21: Trunk Show of the Pronovias 2019 Collection @ Che Bella, Minneapolis, pronovias.com
- April 11: Beauty at the Boathouse with a fashion show, marketplace, manicure nail bar, skin care, and more to raise money for Act United @ Boathouse Brothers Brewing Co., Prior Lake, facebook.com
- April 11-13: Junk Bonanza Spring Market @ Canterbury Park, Shakopee, junkbonanza.com
- April 12: A Vintage Adventure III with Moth Oddities and their ‘60s-’90s spring/summer finds from their road trip to Savannah, Georgia @ Duke Albert, Minneapolis, mothoddities.com
- Spring Antique Show (the same day as the Dog Olympics at the State Fairgrounds) @ Minnesota State Fairgrounds, Falcon Heights, mnstatefair.org
- April 13 & 14: GeekCraft Expo Twin Cities 2019 @ Minneapolis Convention Center, Minneapolis, eventbrite.com
- April 14: Arctic Market feat. 30 artists by the Minneapolis Craft Market @ Lakes & Legends Brewing Co., Minneapolis, mplscraftmarket.com
- April 17: Between the Seams, a fashion show by UMN students inspired by fairy tales @ Weisman Art Museum, Minneapolis, events.umn.edu
- April 18: Grand opening of Six for Good @ Rosedale Center, Roseville, eventbrite.com
- April 18: The Art of Grooming @ MartinPatrick 3, Minneapolis, facebook.com
- April 18: Haupt Antiek, French Country Garden @ Haupt Antiek Market, Apple Valley, hauptantiek.com
- April 19 & 20: Spring Jewelry Pop Up with Milana Stile and her finds from French, Italian, Portuguese, and Brazilian designers plus her own collection @ Local Motion, Minneapolis, localmotionboutique.com