Check out some of the Twin Cities’ style and shopping events for the next two weeks.
FGI Mpls/St.Paul Presents 2019 WWD Runway Recap
At this screening, get a recap of the 2019 runways from New York to Paris as viewed by WWD editors Alex Badia, Sophia Chabbott, and Alexa Tietjen as they talk about trends and digital culture. (As a refresher, WWD is the Women’s Wear Daily, a trade industry publication that some consider the Bible of fashion.) The screening is at two times (popcorn and refreshments will be at both), but the second screening will also have an in-person conversation with Allison Werthmann-Radnich, women’s wardrobe stylist at DUGO. May 21 at noon and 5:30 p.m. @ Schmidt Artists, 900 – 876 W Seventh St., St. Paul, eventbrite.com.
The Secret Language of the Victorians
We’re not unfamiliar with people using fashion to tell people about themselves, and in this lecture by JB Hudson’s vintage and estate specialist Kimberly Thompson, you’ll find out how the Victorians did it. Come for a brief lecture and light refreshments. May 21 from 4:30 to 6 p.m. @ JB Hudson Jewelers, 901 Nicollet, Minneapolis, eventbrite.com.
Father’s Day Style
This pop up event at El Burrito Mercado Mpls is centered on the men in our lives, just in time for Father’s Day. Got Knot stylist Gary Crawford will be helping people design and coordinate custom shirts, suits, and jackets. Bow ties will also be ready to buy, plus some monogramming. May 21 from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. @ El Burrito Mercado Mpls, 4820 Chicago Ave. S, Minneapolis, facebook.com.
World War I Fashions
Before or after stopping by Mia to see its exhibit on Minnesota Fashion in the Gilded Age, make sure to see the one-day fashion exhibit of World War I looks at the Mall of America rotunda. The Dakota County Historical Society display will show you what women wore at home and abroad during “the war that raised grandma’s hemline.” The exhibit is from May 24 through 27, but the fashion show is Memorial Day, May 27. May 24-27 @ Mall of America Rotunda, Bloomington, dakotahistory.org.
International Gem & Jewelry Show
The country’s longest running direct-to-customer jewelry show is coming to the state fairgrounds for three days. Shop gemstones, pearls, antique jewelry, fine jewelry, crystals, watches, chains, findings, and more directly from designers, wholesalers, and manufacturers. May 31 to June 2 @ Minnesota State Fairgrounds, 1265 Snelling Ave. N, St. Paul, intergem.com.
Grand Old Day
In case you missed it, the official Grand Old Day is going on again, and it’s coming up. Besides the parade and the live entertainment, this weekend is rife with Grand Avenue shopping sales, so make sure to stop by your favorite stores. June 2 @ Grand Avenue, St. Paul, grandave.com.
- Now: 40 percent online @ Grethen House, Edina and North Loop, grethenhouse.com
- May 22: First day of the Nicollet Makers Market, every other Thursday @ Nicollet, Minneapolis, nicolletmakersmarket.com
- May 23: Moth Oddities’ Summer Vintage Launch @ Scout, St. Paul, facebook.com
- May 23: Amore & Fede 12th Annual Customer Appreciation Party @ Excelsior, facebook.com
- May 23: Delicious Fashion Trunk Show @ Kennedy Vision Health Center, Plymouth, facebook.com
- Through May 25: Spring Fling’s 20 percent discount on all rings, including engagement and wedding rings, in store and online (code: SPRINGRINGS) @ Max’s, Excelsior & Grand, stylebymax.com
- May 29: First day of FINNEGANS Market, every Wednesday @ FINNEGANS, Minneapolis, finnegans.org
- May 31: Afropolitan Sip & Shop @ A Divas Creation, Minneapolis, eventbrite.com
- June 1: Grand opening of Urban Roost Treasures, White Bear Lake, facebook.com
- June 1: The Oddities & Curiosities Expo @ Minneapolis Convention Center, givebacktickets.com
- June 1: Yuvika Mega Diamond & Gold Jewelry Show @ Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West, Plymouth, yuvikajewelry.com
- June 1: Three Year Anniversary Party for Lotus Lake Gifts & Home Decor @ Chanhassen, facebook.com
- June 1-3: Wild Isles Swim pop up @ The Fitting Room, Minneapolis, facebook.com
- May 22: Semi-annual Client Appreciation Engagement Party by Wedding Day Diamonds with food, florals, DJ, and photo booth @ Pinstripes, Edina, facebook.com
- May 31: Wedding Market + After Market Party with fashion show, DIY, and vendors @ Holiday Inn, Alexandria, eventbrite.com