Few beauty rituals feel as symbolic of femininity as perfume—the bottle on the vanity, the spritz, the finishing touch. So much of memory is intensely tied to scent—scientists have even proven it improves memory recall. Love’s Baby Soft might take you back to a shy, awkward dance; Charlie or Sunflowers, your first date; maybe you bought Clinique Aromatics Elixir with your first real paycheck. Some women are in intensely monogamous relationships with their scents, worn for life; others change by time of day. Here’s to intoxicating memories.
Numbered from left to right.
1. Notes of belladonna and opium commingle with myrrh and oud for a Twilight kind of fragrance. Freak by Illamasqua, $90 @ Sephora, sephora.com
2. A riot of white flowers—tuberose, gardenia—blend with orange blossom and musk for this iconic scent. Fracas by Robert Piguet, $120 @ Neiman Marcus, neimanmarcus.com
3. Bergamot, jasmine, and iris give way to vanilla and Tonka Bean in this classic-scent reincarnation. Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain, $84 @ Neiman Marcus
4. Pineapple, grapefruit, and rhubarb balanced with patchouli and sandalwood. Gilded Lily by Ineke, $88 @ ineke.com
5. Citrus plus vetiver and sandalwood. The One Lace Edition by Dolce & Gabbana, $75 @ Nordstrom, nordstrom.com
6. Green, fruity, and powdery, with violet and violet leaf. Violet Blonde by Tom Ford, $100 @ Neiman Marcus
7. Sweet and girly with notes of lemon and apricot. Lolita Lempicka, $62 @ Sephora
8. Floral and green—great for spring. Live in Love by Oscar de la Renta, $78 @ Macy’s, macys.com
9. Named for Coco’s favorite fabric, Jersey is a field of lavender. Jersey by Chanel, $110 @ Neiman Marcus
10. A re-imagining of Coco’s signature scent. Chanel No. 19 Poudre, $85 @ Neiman Marcus
11. A perfect mix of masculine and feminine. Boyfriend by Kate Walsh, $65 @ Sephora
12. A bright, crisp floral. Shine by Heidi Klum, $35 @ Target, target.com